Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Which would you believe?

timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Your Thermapen or your Maverick ET732?
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
·

Comments

• thermapen

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,777

Not apples to apples-but if only one then the Thermapen. Each is set-up for different styles of cooking. 

Louisville
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    Thermapen.
    But, if the question is whether I would believe your thermapen or maverick, I have no experience with either so I can't say.
    Test them in boiling water and see which is correct.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    I don't have a Maverick, but my Thermapen has never ever steered me wrong.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,713
    Thermapen
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I had a pork tenderloin on the grill using the M732.  Pulled it at 140 and brought it in.  Checked the temp with my Thermapen and it read 150.  Same probe location.  I agree on the Thermapen.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Can the maverick be calibrated?
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited July 2012
    I do not think so.  I will have to do another test.  I am sure I can find something to cook.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,766
    I do not think so.  I will have to do another test.  I am sure I can find something to cook.
    Boil watet, check both. Should read 212 pkus or minus your sea level, for that check online.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 552
    My Maverick meat probe is 4* high and the grate probe is 2* high.  Considering there is always potential for crushing the line or getting it wet, I tend to check those probes pretty regularly
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Depends on where it is inserted.    Poke a Thermapen in two different places, you can get two different readings.

I think the thermapen is a higher precision instrument - but are you seeing difference in the technology or in the location in the meat ( fat pocket, near a bone, etc. )

Cookin in Texas
    ·