Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Which would you believe?

timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Your Thermapen or your Maverick ET732?
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
·

Comments

• thermapen

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,711

Not apples to apples-but if only one then the Thermapen. Each is set-up for different styles of cooking. 

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,611
    Thermapen.
    But, if the question is whether I would believe your thermapen or maverick, I have no experience with either so I can't say.
    Test them in boiling water and see which is correct.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    I don't have a Maverick, but my Thermapen has never ever steered me wrong.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Thermapen
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I had a pork tenderloin on the grill using the M732.  Pulled it at 140 and brought it in.  Checked the temp with my Thermapen and it read 150.  Same probe location.  I agree on the Thermapen.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
    ·
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Can the maverick be calibrated?
    ·
  • timekpr1timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited July 2012
    I do not think so.  I will have to do another test.  I am sure I can find something to cook.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,059
    I do not think so.  I will have to do another test.  I am sure I can find something to cook.
    Boil watet, check both. Should read 212 pkus or minus your sea level, for that check online.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    My Maverick meat probe is 4* high and the grate probe is 2* high.  Considering there is always potential for crushing the line or getting it wet, I tend to check those probes pretty regularly
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Depends on where it is inserted.    Poke a Thermapen in two different places, you can get two different readings.

I think the thermapen is a higher precision instrument - but are you seeing difference in the technology or in the location in the meat ( fat pocket, near a bone, etc. )

Cookin in Texas
    ·