Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

moldy egg

njlnjl Posts: 871
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
After storing our LBGE indoors for a month, I just rolled it out to do some steaks and found it all moldy inside.  How long of a "clean out" burn should it take to make it safe to cook food on?  Last thing I cooked was ribs I think...so it had the plate setter, V-rack, and DMFT stored inside...and they're all nasty.  :(

Comments

  • deon02deon02 Posts: 6
    The first time my egg "molded" I was in total shock.  I had used it a lot for the first several months that I owned it.  Then I went about four weeks without using it and it molded very badly on the inside.  I didn't know what to do so I built a hot fire and burned it out.  Then I wiped down the inside with a little dilute chlorine bleach and burned it out again.
    I remembered my mom once saying that ground coffee can prevent mold in refrigerators during a move, so the next day I put ground coffee in a nylon stocking, placed that in a glass dish and put the dish in the egg.  I have found that leaving ground coffee in the egg works really well (and I'll bet is a lot healthier then wiping down with chlorine).  My egg did mold again recently (coffee worn out???) which is the first time in a year.  Reading through posts tonight, I see that people recommend cleaning out the charcoal, leaving the bottom vent open (w/screen closed) and propping up the cap a bit.  I will add these two suggestions to my coffee routine.
    As far as how long you should burn it off, I would think 20 to 30 min at high heat (over 500) should work.  Anything washable I would wash and use some dilute chlorine bleach on (rinse really well).  I read in a post awhile back that one person thought using any chemicals inside the egg (like I did the 1st time when I panicked) was a bad idea because the ceramic would absorb.  Chlorine evaporates though so I figured it would burn out of the egg. 
    I hope this helps (sorry long winded).
  • njlnjl Posts: 871
    Just to be safe, I let it burn for about 45 minutes, nearly using up all the lump I'd put into it.  I've never seen such a fire.  When I added more fresh lump on top of the remaining super hot coals, once it got going, I had flames shooting up out the top vent.  I ended up having to shut things down a little before searing the steaks, and even then, only gave them about 30s per side, for fear of over-charring them.

    Looks like things turned out ok.  After the steaks were done, I put the plat setter in, and then put the DFMT and rain cap on the cooking grid.  I'd already cleaned the rain cap with paper towels and a mild bleach cleaner.  After about 10 minutes I removed the rain cap and put the V-rack back in with the DFMT on top of the V-rack.  I'm going to let it burn now until it burns out.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.