Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat: to burn or not to burn?

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've read many discussions of how to collect fat in pans raised from the stone or platesetter.  In my early no-money days my Charbroil gasser had "lava rocks" intended to get hot and burn the dripping fat to impart a "bar-b-que" flavor.  When the child-support payments stopped I had a Weber Gold gasser with "flavorisor bars" intended to do the same thing.  Since I've had the BGE I do indirect with the spyder/stone and just let the fat drip on the stone. It burns off just fine and a putty knife cleans up the stone good enough for me.  So I'm thinking those burning juiices are part of the bar-b-que mistique that can't be duplicated inside the house.  I happen to think the burned juices/fat adds something special.

What do you think?

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I think burnt juice and fat imparts an arcid burnt taste.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    those flavoriser bars are complete BS.  they do nothing more than attempt to minimize flareups.

i think chicken benefits from a little direct cooking, where the fat can burn.  but something that exudes copious amounts, like a pork butt or ribs, is going to require some method of collecting excess fat.  there's just too much otherwise.

but burgers, steaks, etc.?  it's minimal, and part of the flavor.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante