Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my new BGE

grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my large egg. Only downer is I ja e to wait until this weekend to build a table and use it.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    You don't have to wait for a stinkin table, fire it up and start cooking!
  • I may have to do that Lizzie. Any suggestions on lower heat cooks to break in the egg properly. I noticed you should not cook steaks or pizza or anything at higher temps the first few times the egg is used.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    You can do chicken breast or burgers in the 400 range with great results.
  • I really want to tear this thing open and set it up. I feel like a kid at Christmas.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • LizzieSamps
    You can throw a pork butt on there, low and slow just get your temp right first before going to bed, or do the Spatch chicken, even tri-tip are all cooks I have great success on in my first week! Just start cooking, then you will realize how great your table is. I salivate over all the tables I see!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    You can do chicken breast or burgers in the 400 range with great results. Pork butts are the most forgiving cook that you will do.  Chicken wings at 350-400 are great.  People do them both direct and indirect.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Crack those boxes open and get grilling. Why wait, you will just drive your self nuts.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    My first few cooks were spatched cook chicken. You can do them direct or indirect depending. Great first cooks.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    I really want to tear this thing open and set it up. I feel like a kid at Christmas.
    I was in the exact same position a few weeks ago grillgunner and truly understand the feeling. Check out my picture. My BGE was waiting for the BGE table I ordered. I'm guessing that is also a plate setter in the top box of your stack just as it is in mine. I cooked for the first time this weekend. Ribs at 270-280 for 4 1/2 hours on Saturday. Two "Beer Can Chickens" on Sunday at 350 degrees for 1 3/4 hours, followed by a pizza at 425 degrees. I'm in BBQ heaven at how this cooker lived up to its reputation. Temperatures are so easy to maintain. My three cooks at the temperatures above have worked just fine. I don't see any negative consequences of the 425 on the gasket.  
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • It looks like we have the same set up jfarley. I am going to try royal oak lump since it is readily available. I sure hope this thing lives up to all the hype.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Did your egg come with the little green feet jfarley?
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I can relate, but I put mine together and set it on a stone and have just ran the coals with no food one night and then made the spatchcock chicken another night. I should finish my table by this weekend and put it in its new home. Until then I plan to cook down close to the ground  :D
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    I can relate, but I put mine together and set it on a stone and have just ran the coals with no food one night and then made the spatchcock chicken another night...Until then I plan to cook down close to the ground  :D

Nothin wrong with that! (as long as your back can take it)
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Try Baby Back Ribs, 250 dgrees F for about 4.5 to 5 hrs. That's what my maiden voyage was, turned out great !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Just pick something and do it!  You will be amazed at the difference in quality of the food.  My wife is a "well done" person, and the first burger i made her, she was just amazed at how juicy it was, and how quick i could do it ( the burger that is).  I think it gave me permission to build an outdoor kitchen.  If it means me cooking more, which she likes, she is all about it!  Cooking happens to be my hobby, and she likes that!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Did your egg come with the little green feet jfarley?
    I did not find any green feet, but was not looking for them. (Hope I didn't throw any out with the packaging). Mine is sitting on a 2x16x16 paver that happened to be the same one shown on the video that comes with the CD that is in the package.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • LizzieSamps
    I have heard and was told here locally that they are no longer shipping with the feet.  I asked and found an employee that found me 3 of them that were lying around.  
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Try Baby Back Ribs, 250 dgrees F for about 4.5 to 5 hrs. That's what my maiden voyage was, turned out great !
    I plan to do some baby backs this weekend! Anxious to try out my new adjustable rig and get another low temp cook in...

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Newbbqer
    Newbbqer Posts: 78
    I didn't get the green feet either, I tore through all the packages before I threw them in the dumpster.  
  • I really want to tear this thing open and set it up. I feel like a kid at Christmas.
    Rip that sucker open!  Its time to cook!  Put it on the paver and cook away. Who needs a table. A good first cook can be chicken breast, pork tenderloin, Ribs, (what Im doing this weekend) or even some low and slow Boston Butt. Welcome and good cooking!