Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm and egghead, now what

Options
Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I noticed in another forum people listing their proud collections of smokers . Is there really a need for additional cookers once you have an egg. If so, what high end backyard smoker would be a complimentary addition to my Large Big Green Egg?

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    One will do the job just fine my friend.

Two is a luxury. There are those who like to do separate cooks at alternate temperatures at the same time. That is where two come in handy.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I'm eyeing a nice Weber Genesis gasser to compliment my egg. There are times where I just wanna sear something real quick and don't want to hassle with charcoal. Additionally, I'm out of town a lot and my wife wants to grill but doesn't have the know-how or trust to use my big green baby. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    To answer your two questions:  Q: Is there really a need for additional cookers once you have an egg. A: Depends on what you cook and if you have a stove, range, etc.  Q: If so, what high end backyard smoker would be a complimentary addition to my Large Big Green Egg? A: A second Big Green Mo-flippin' Egg.
    Options
    I'm eyeing a nice Weber Genesis gasser to compliment my egg. There are times where I just wanna sear something real quick and don't want to hassle with charcoal. Additionally, I'm out of town a lot and my wife wants to grill but doesn't have the know-how or trust to use my big green baby. 

Buy the gasser if it will keep her away from your precious egg!  Among gassers Weber is a good choice for support and parts.  I used to have a Weber Genesis gasser and liked it.  Very convenient if you have limited time.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    I have a gasser and a park and Rec type charcoal in ground grill by my pool. Is the really anything the water type smokers and some of the others like spicewine and backyard Jambos do other than volume that would out perform my egg?? If not then I'm just going to purchase an additional egg.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    My small egg compliments my large egg very nicely.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't keep her away from your egg, just buy a good fire-extinguisher!
    Options
    To me, and it's just my opinion, I really like Q from an offset wood fired smoker.

They are certainly not as versatile as eggs, and require babysitting, but I do like cooking on an offset. I had one a few years ago, and sold it when we moved out of state, but I am really considering getting another one. 
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    I have a gasser and a park and Rec type charcoal in ground grill by my pool. Is the really anything the water type smokers and some of the others like spicewine and backyard Jambos do other than volume that would out perform my egg?? If not then I'm just going to purchase an additional egg.
    I had a couple water smokers.  Hated them.  No crispy poultry skin and horrible wet greasy cleanup.  It's a work-around to hold down temp.  The BGE (and other ceramic cookers) does that much better.  My offset is great and sits unused in my backyard since I got the BGE.  I use it once a year to do two legs of lamb on Maundy Thursday and I'll keep it for that.  Truth be told, last Maundy Thursday I did two boneless legs of lamb on the BGE.  Just my experience.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Just teach her how to use it properly and she will be all willing to buy you accessories or her own egg! Remember ladies love to accessorize! IMHO :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just teach her how to use it properly and she will be all willing to buy you accessories or her own egg! Remember ladies love to accessorize! IMHO :)

Or as in your case...teach HIM how to use it and keep a fire extinguisher close. We all know that ladies could never learn to bbq or use an Egg like a man right????.... oh wait.......oops http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1203293/#Comment_1203293
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have a Cookshack smoker that does a great job with very little effort.  Definitely a different texture (better bark/texturre) on the BGE, but the Cookshack is really efficient.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Yes, Cen-Tex it is working, I am already planting the seeds that we could cook together on our own eggs! I can handle the meat, he can take care of apps and sides! ;))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes, Cen-Tex it is working, I am already planting the seeds that we could cook together on our own eggs! I can handle the meat, he can take care of apps and sides! ;))

Or, you could just do it all and let him do the dishes :))
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Oh he always does the dishes! That is our agreement! If I'm cooking, then I'm not cleaning! Works out great for me! love to cook and HATE to clean! Carl just can't cook!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Would this thread be approaching "too much information"...?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Would this thread be approaching "too much information"...?
    My filter was still on but it took all I had to keep this on the straight and narrow. Lizzie is the bomb. Everything is better with funny girls on board
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Ok, I am wiping tears from my eyes as we speak! I like to toe the line, but OOOOO that's funny, but shame on you gentleman, I did not even catch it till now!!
    [-X
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sorry?
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    No you're not!! :)
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Too funny........  If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i like to laugh at cen-tex
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    :D well played sir, well played.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    It's still funny this morning!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    stike said:

Get in line
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

You are a good sport. I think I have finally proven that I stopped maturing at 13.

Funny stuff though.

• Rubmyrock
    Options
    You are a good sport. I think I have finally proven that I stopped maturing at 13. Funny stuff though.

As I sit here typing this, I have a smile on my face, because I know, all too well, the immutable truth that while we're only young once, we can be immature forever.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Yup, I am planning the Fantasy Football Draft for my league this year.  It is our 12th year and we are traveling to South Carolina.  It is 13 guys and me, and my hubby, he is not an owner though!  I have learned that the boys can turn anything I say into something not meant for youngsters! Good time, good times!