Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stepping into the big leagues - 1st Brisket

Options
13»

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Looks like a whole flat to me. That is their problem if they can't resell it. They are the ones that sold you a flat and called it a packer.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    ARGH!! They said nothing over 7 lbs.
  • ncbbq
    Options
    It seems like it is hard for us non-Texans to find a good brisket. I have yet to find a whole packer in NC either. We will just have to get Cen-Tex to ship them to us. Ha, ha.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'm with ncbbq (obviously a pulled pork fan)-definitely a flat-especially based on the price/lb.  So, now Cen-Tex going solo tonight-talk about a twist.  But with the Costco here ( a bit south) they will periodicaly get packers so all is not lost.  However, if you want a challenge then wrestle with a flat.  If you master that then the BBQ universe is yours :)>- ...At least til the next one!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    No flats either!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I'm a bit confused-not unusual-but your pics sure looked like a flat to me-and it did have a brisket term in the label???  Doesn't really matter. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    Options
    Yeah I have cook a few flats since that is all I've been able to find. The last one came out decent, but it could definitely be better. Next month after things settle down for me I am going to step up my hunt for a whole packer. I think that is the key to great brisket from what everyone on here says.

Here was my last attempt.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140616/3rd-brisket-and-first-maverick-cook
  • ncbbq
    Options
    @lousubcap, Never any problem finding pork butts around here that's for sure. I do love it but I like some good brisket too.
  • ncbbq
    Options
    No flats either!
    What you had in that picture was a flat. They just don't know what they have. They just get a big box of it and put it out with no clue what it is. So they call it brisket which is correct, just not the whole story.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sooooo....I just ran all over town chasing the perfect brisket and now I'm on my own????

Oh well, I'll live. Having a little pool party tomorrow and Brisket is on the menu so I was going anyway.

Cap- I think your inbox is broken???? I PM'd you way earlier today but got it all figured out on my own. Pics to follow.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I am still on the hunt, but Getting very hungry, I am driving to local Kroger. We will see. Found one! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I think it might be toooo BIG! Can that happen?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah! That's it. It's not too big. That is right down the middle. Looks like your day was spent much like mine (minus the 9 beers I've had already). Victory!

• lousubcap
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'll be da-ned! Kroger and packers-here (Louisville, KY-about 110 miles south of Lizzie) all they have is flats-but not at that price/lb.  And FWIW-never seen a brisket with a bone in it unless the cow choked on one somehow :) Congrats Lizzie for staying the course!  Gonna be one great journey-may just have to "declare victory and monitor the trip".  Have fun!
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I asked the guy at the counter for brisket, so he walked me over to the case, where flats were about 5-6 pounds.  So I said , No, I want a BIG one, like 9 pounds or more.  I'm going to smoke it!  So he smiled and said,  Ok just a sec.  Out he comes with a big box.  Pulls one out and said is 14 big enough?  So I asked why were they not out,  he said well most people don't want them this big so we cut them down for you, but if you are serious then you can have it!  So then he asked if I have done anything like this before.  I smiled and said, nope, but I have whole bunch of friends that are going to help me with it!  

So @Cen-tex it is on right?

Now, I have to start on dinner, whew, already tired! Better start drinking!  
    ;;) :-bd
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    Good luck! We're going to look for one tonight to try out these new rubs
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    He was awesome spent over 1/2 hour talking to me giving me pointers and suggestions! If you head to Indy let me know maybe we can meet in Broadripple for a drink or something. CheffJJ's in in Broadripple
    Glad to hear you had a good experience there.

This is my last week in IN....I'll be heading home by weeks end. I'll have to take a rain check on the drink. I may be back in the winter though.

Good luck with the brisket! I'll be watching both of the up coming brisket cooks.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it is on. And if you are going to catch up to me (not at all recommended) you better start drinking fast. I'm having major gasjet issues and hope I can keep my temps down overnight. Might have to use the maverick to be sure. I did a rib cook today and the temp spiked up to 400+ when I was out shopping for brisket and this was weith the daisy shut and the draft door barely open. Of course it is 107 here today so I only need 130 degrees out of the egg above ambient temp :) I'v enever had issues like this when gasketless before but it's been a bear to keep temps. I'm installing the nomex I got from MI Jason tomorrow.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I don't think I can catch up and still be able to type.  So what time should I shoot to get this baby on?  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't think I can catch up and still be able to type.  So what time should I shoot to get this baby on?  

What temp are you cooking at and what time do you want to eat?
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I can hold 250 good,  I was hoping for dinner, will that work out ya think?
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Looking forward to watching this post tonight!
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can hold 250 good,  I was hoping for dinner, will that work out ya think?

sure. If you are saying you can hold 250 dome good, then count on 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb. I go 275+ dome and go 1.25 hrs per lb on average. I'm putting mine on at 11-12 @275 ishtonight for lunch tomorrow.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You all are having too much fun-here I am gonna do some pedestrian steak fries and a bourbon soaked (cheap stuff) flat-iron and declare victory.  But I will be around for moral support :)
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    ok, last time I did my PP I got it on way too late like 1:30 or 2:00AM then had to sit and watch for the temp to steady out.  So I am starting earlier.  Do I trim off all the hard fat?  I saw that on one of the earlier links.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Absent pearls of wisdom-and you can wait til it gets too close to launch-time for those pearls, I would take it down to around 1/4" max thickness all the way around.   Or-less than 1/4" and still with some fat on the brisket.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Ok, I better start cutting some fat! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I've heard that more than once :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    OK- Starting a new thread
  • lousubcap
    Options
    And the title would be...???