Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stepping into the big leagues - 1st Brisket

Comments

• Sorry LizzieSamps for absolute nonsense on a perfectly good post.

Thank you Cen tex for not judging me and my Guy F. photo, the shirt I covered was red by the way.
    I was going to PM you if you didn't show up. Too good for you to miss

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    edited July 2012
    No worries @Brownie  it's has been a fun time waiting for the next response.  Also it was great hearing how the  "stigma of the flaming thermpen" came to be.  I was thinking this whole time that your avatar was you, it was not till I looked at it larger that I saw it was Guy!  That is just too funny!  Now I need someone to explain Stike's to me.  
  • No worries @Brownie  is has been a fun time waiting for the next response.  Also it was great hearing how the  "stigma of the flaming thermpen" cam to be.  I was thinking this whole time that your avatar was you, it was not till I looked at it larger that I saw it was Guy!  That is just too funny!  Now I need someone to explain Stike's to me.  
    read her shirt........................
  • good lord. He has brought out the heavy artillery. Beibs has made an appearance. so now I guess it's read HIS shirt. Cuz he likey the Stikey

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    No worries @Brownie  it's has been a fun time waiting for the next response.  Also it was great hearing how the  "stigma of the flaming thermpen" came to be.  I was thinking this whole time that your avatar was you, it was not till I looked at it larger that I saw it was Guy!  That is just too funny!  Now I need someone to explain Stike's to me.  
    That's not really when the green Thermapen bashing began, but it certainly escalated when CTS got his flamer jobbie...On a side note I don't think I would have put up with the abuse if I had known you didn't own one.... We live and learn.
  • No worries @Brownie  it's has been a fun time waiting for the next response.  Also it was great hearing how the  "stigma of the flaming thermpen" came to be.  I was thinking this whole time that your avatar was you, it was not till I looked at it larger that I saw it was Guy!  That is just too funny!  Now I need someone to explain Stike's to me.  
    That's not really when the green Thermapen bashing began, but it certainly escalated when CTS got his flamer jobbie...On a side note I don't think I would have put up with the abuse if I had known you didn't own one.... We live and learn.
    True, this was a culmination of many weeks of "mine is better/faster than yours" on the Thermapen thread. I believe I told Brownie that the green ones do not work in high humidity and that he got ripped off. It turned ugly shortly after that.

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    So, what's going on with the brisket?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    It will be going I tonight! Group cook with Cent-tex join in!
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Sounds good, what can I bring? Lol :)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    All you Sat night brisketeers-I will have a few adult beverages during your journey.  By the time you get rolling, I will have transitioned from cold beer to bourbon over ice (tonight will likely be the Woodford Double Oak).  Now Sun AM-haven't got the beverage menu sorted out just yet!  Should be a great adventure. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Well....after all that bragging about being able to readily find good brisket, I am 0-3 today at my usual haunts. Whole foods only have grass fed (no thanks), my normal grocery store only had select packers (they looked OK but pass), and the other store by me had this horrible looking monstrosity that was so hard it wouldn't bend a bit. had Hard fat all over it and was very pale.

Looks like I gotta make a run to the fancy store later today. This seriously cuts into my drinking time
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2012
    @ Cen-Tex-that is hard to believe-the drought must be the culprit...but you are quite fortunate in that I would bet that TFJ would make the food run for you.  Thus you can get started now...I wouldn't trust my SWMBO even with the near-constant ability to talk it through.  Such is life...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @ Cen-Tex-you are quite fortunate in that I would bet that TFJ would make the food run for you.  Thus you can get started now...I wouldn't trustt my SWMBO even with the near-constant ability to talk it through.  Such is life...
    Nah, she's ready to get in the pool. She told me to "just do ribs". :)

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Why don't you want a grass-fed Brisket?
  • lousubcap
    Geez-Lizzie is going to be flying solo...no worries here.  She is fearless when it comes to wrestling with the BGE and the related cook.  Ribs-nice audible.
  • Why don't you want a grass-fed Brisket?
    They are too lean and I don't like the flavor. Good for your body but bad for your bbq :)

• Damn, strike 4! I can't believe it. I finally called the fancy store and they have a case of choice or above. It's 30 minutes away, but I'm headed over. If i'm putting the effort, I'm getting the good stuff. Spare ribs going on now for dinner tonight.

Putting the brisket on at Midnight. Should be well lubricated by then :))

• LizzieSamps
    Ok, after heading to costco, they had flats out, as I tapped on the glass and asked for cryo packers, they only had 2. Here is what I got. What do you think too small? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Hmmm. A 6lb packer is tiny. Never seen one that small. You sure that's not lamb? :))

Seriously though, post a pic of the whole thing. Never heard of a 6lb packer before. 9 is considered small.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Why don't you want a grass-fed Brisket?
    They are too lean and I don't like the flavor. Good for your body but bad for your bbq :)

That's too bad I get a 1/2 beef and grass fed from a farm in town. Guess I'll have to feed it a bowl of all natural homemade ice cream every night. :)
  • Why don't you want a grass-fed Brisket?

That's too bad I get a 1/2 beef and grass fed from a farm in town. Guess I'll have to feed it a bowl of all natural homemade ice cream every night. :)
    It's great beef. I just haven't had any luck doing it as low and slow bbq. Super lean and has a sweet flavor to it that it strange to me for bbq

• lousubcap
    edited July 2012
    Given that I periodically check out the local Costco for packers-I noticed Lizzie's price/lb.  That number is the same as I see for flats at the local Costco-around 110 miles south of Indy.  Pic will resolve the question but absent any, I'm bettin flat.  Just more of a challenge as the target window of success is much tighter than with the packer.  "No hill for a climber!"
  • LizzieSamps
    I think I am going to take it back. I ran to @CheffJJ store and bought some dizzy pig rubs, wood, lump, and planks for salmon tonight. He said too small! I hope another Costco has a bigger one. Should I look for 9 lbs or bigger?
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Funny....I was going to head over to Indy to check out the Chef JJ shop.....went to Bloomington to drink beer instead!
  • lousubcap
    @ Lizzie-if it was a flat then it is "in the range" of where they run, 5-8#'s or so.  If a packer, then definitely too small.  About all I see are flats (cryo packed) either at Costco or Kroger so I'm of no help with anything packer.  That's Cen-Tex's expertise.  But I can surely tell you how to hit or miss with a flat-and even if the process is constant the cow will win every time!
  • LizzieSamps
    He was awesome spent over 1/2 hour talking to me giving me pointers and suggestions! If you head to Indy let me know maybe we can meet in Broadripple for a drink or something. CheffJJ's in in Broadripple
  • lousubcap
    @ Lizzie-so where did this all end-up. Packer (baby...) or flat-returned or not.  If not-then "game on?"  BTW-salmon sounds fantastic-enjoy!
  • Ok- finally found one. An hour later and drunk wandering around the fancy ass grocery store. 14lber super good looking choice packer. Thank god TFJ was kind enough to drive me all over the place to get a brisket. The thi t's I do for you people :))

And I got a homemade key lime pie out of the deal.
  • lousubcap
    Okay-I got it half right-at least she drove.  Good call with that I'm sure.  Enjoy and I will follow the proceedings til I'm self-induced blind for the remainder of the evening :)>-
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok here is a pick of the baby before I took it back. She told me that they cannot resell it. Good to know! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos