Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

turning around the firebox

xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So who has turned around the firebox to place the opening opposite of the air entrance? Rumor has it the back of the egg opposite of the air inlet is a hot spot.  I feel like when I'm using the ique, or any other blower equipped device for that matter, i may get a better, more even burn with less chances of a hot spot. I haven't done it yet, but I'm really thinking it'd be the way to go.

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,046
    edited July 2012
    No scientific proof about your comment that the back, opposite the fire box opening is the hottest part of the BGE, but have read that from several reputable sources.  To mitigate, for any platesetter cook, I make sure one leg of the platesetter is at the back opposite the opening.  For hot & fast I light in two spots around 4 and 9 to hopefully get a more even burn-no issues here. 
    Louisville
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I always get an even burn, and personally, last time i did a pizza cook, the right side was hotter than the left, no difference front to back. For hot and fast cooks i only light with the weed burner and get the whole bed of coals going nice before i close her up. Low and slows i light directly in the middle with the electric starter. Im just thinking that with the forced airflow it'd do better being bounced around the egg, instead of directly in the center opening.
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 1,985
    The front left quadrant of my egg is the coolest spot. Back left is a hot spot.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 285
    For anyone who doubts that the back of an Egg is the hot spot, feel your dome as it heats up. It is very noticeable that the back side is always much warmer than the front or sides.

I do as someone has already suggested - I put one leg of my platesetter to the back to force more heat to the sides. For direct cooks, the hot spots are very noticeable. I either have to move food around to keep it cooking even, or place larger pieces toward the back. Fortunately, most direct cooks I do are more grilling than oven type cooks, so I am dealing with the food more anyhow.

Turning the firebox around is an interesting idea. I would not do it had I kept using the stock fire grate, but I think the Hi Que grate might allow enough air flow to pull it off. For those who clean ash out through the bottom vent, this would prohibit that - but I pull all the guts out and clean from the top each time - after about every 6-7 cooks.
    i don't use the front vent for cleaning out the ash either. Im a shop vac guy. Pull out the bottom grate and give it a good blast, sucks everything right out. Hit each of the air inlets and it's good to go, once a month i usually disassemble and find a tiny pile of very fine ash at the bottom of the egg under each air inlet. never a huge buildup thou. I think I'm gonna give it a try this weekend, i'll report back. 
    well, i did my first run last night with the firebox turned around. Not quite sure if it made a difference at all, but it ran perfectly fine at 250 for 17 straight hours on just the lower firebox filled with coals. Assisted by the ique, 2 lb boneless butts and a 14lb brisket.  Sorry for the crappy pic, but it was raining out, 7am, half asleep and munching on crispy bark! 

481085_10151938790440650_1067268323_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 55K
    561328_10151936767360650_279530474_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 144K
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 839
    When I put my egg in my table, I turned mine. With a Stoker used 98% of the time, I wanted the draft door and fan out of my way. Here is the thread I have showing it (towards the bottom of the thread) http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138183/bigguys-new-table-with-a-few-extras#latest

Big Lake, Minnesota

Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

you turned your whole base around, i kept my base as is, and rotated the opening of the firebox 180 degrees to the actual air inlet, made the air work a little to get around the firebox, and not blow directly up and thru the bottom, figured it'd stop the "chimney" charcoal burn right down the center. If anything it did even out the burn of the coal.
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 839
    Note to self: look closer at photos... I did a quick look and I thought your draft door was not showing. Sorry.

Big Lake, Minnesota

Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig