Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

4 Butt Lo & Slo...

MemphisBBQMemphisBBQ Posts: 72
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I am selling butts here at St. Jude for charity. I went to my local meat market and bought 3 seven pounders and a 4 pounder for myself. 
I set everything up as usual and started with the 3 larger ones. After getting the temp up to about 275, I put them on and then I battled the egg for about 5-6 hours to keep the temp up. For the first 4 hours it wanted to stay at 250, no matter what I did. I would bring it up to 275...within 15 minutes it was back to 250. I just let it ride there until I noticed it was falling. It then became a fight to keep it at 225. 
"Something is not right", I think to myself. So at about 1030pm I pull everything off to see the firebox is almost empty. I filled her back up, put everything back on and put the 4th on. 

I dialed the temp back in and went to bed. I was laying there telling myself to trust the egg but still wondering what the deal was.

How on earth did I burn thru that much lump in 6 hours?? Was it the large load of meat absorbing all the heat? Did it get too hot and simply burn off? The dome temp never went about 275. I am no expert in thermodynamics, but dang! 

Anyway, I woke up at 0530 to find everything perfect. Wrapped the butts up, put them in a cooler and went back to bed. All is well, but I gotta figure out how to not burn so much lump! 

Comments