Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Portobello Mushrooms

Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 269
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I picked up some portobello mushrooms for dinner.

Does anyone gave a good recipe?  They looked too good to pass---

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,495
    I just scrape out the gills and put stuff like procuito, pancetta, sundried tomatoes and cheese on top and do them indirect at around 350*. You can put anything you like in as long as there is cheese on them

Caledon, ON

• bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    I cut off the stem and season the big caps with olive oil, salt, and pepper and cook them with whatever else is going on- direct or indirect- flipping them over occasionally.  They take a little longer than other veggies on the grill but they are very tasty- especially if you leave them on long enough to really cook though!  I usually cut them up before serving them- some people are not too eager to put a big slab of mushroom on their plate.
    Charleston, SC
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,350
    Do any/all the above, season with little butter and your choice of herbs..good eats.  Another thing I do with bellos is make a bello'burger.  Egg and season bellos and cook which the burger meat, then use the bellos as the bun and add cheese and bacon....  That is really good eats.  Remember to scrape out the gills.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Goat Cheese sometime I just put some steak sauce in them. Endless possibilites.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

• 10Driver10Driver Posts: 88
    I like to marinate with Italian dressing before grilling them. Slice into strips after grilling or serve whole.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,490
    I like to marinate with Italian dressing before grilling them. Slice into strips after grilling or serve whole.
    That's how I normally make them, yum!

My "Bello'burgers", however, are a whole portobello in between a hamburger bun, no meat necessary.  Never tried them with cheese; damn is it Monday tomorrow already?!? 
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
    Ogden, Utard.