Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump during the winter

Options
Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Did a search and really did not find an answer.

Do eggheads buy up and stock charcoal for the winter?

When do you buy?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Been buying a few bags of royal oak every week just so i have some starting to feel like a squirel. But for wicked good the bbq guru guys handle that and freds isn't that far of a drive so those i can get in the winter  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Depends on your source-If they stock all winter than you may want a few bags in reserve but no need to squirrel.  If you are limited once the summer ends then time to put the SWMBO's car in the driveway and load up the garage :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    we can get it year round down here with no problems. No need to stock up
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I go into winter with at least 400 lbs on hand. Around here supplies start drying up in September.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Lowes always has Cowboy in stock here in PA. Freds isn't too far and there is always my egg dealer if I want to spend a paycheck on a bag of BGE lump.

I did a bulk buy of Humphrey in the Spring. I'll do the same in the Fall.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    We got our Egg a year ago and I've made three trips to Fred's, buying about 120 lbs each time. I can't get anything but the common Home Depot/Lowe's brands in Philadelphia plus BGE. All OK, but nothing like Nature's Own from Canada or Fred's "Blue Bag" brand.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @bigphil where are you at in PA? I live in Annville, right outside of Hershey.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ch1488
    ch1488 Posts: 5
    Options
    My Menards in NW Wisc has Royal Oak (Green Bag) year around althought the supply dwindles in the winter. I just make sure I have 3 or 4 bags in the garage at all times.
  • bigphil
    Options
    cortguitarman in Hatboro Pa 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    Options
     just picked up two bags of wegmans haven't tried it yet . i do like wg for long cooks tho and ro during the week for fast .
  • bigphil
    Options
    @hapster Freds is about 45mins to an hour from me was there about 3months ago he was giving out his pulled pork sandwiches and made some chicken was really good and his a nut lol. great guy and employees, got a lot of info from him 
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Closest Wegmans for me is camp hill. 45 minute drive. Same distance to Fred's. My local Agway also carries RO in 16lb bags. They will order for me at no additional charge if they are out.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Oh my, I didn't think of that! Anybody from the Indy area know this answer.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I will have to stock up, lump supply dries up around here in the fall. Been squirrelling some away already.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

You would think it would be an issue here in Wisconsin, but even with the cold and snow during the winter months there is no issue getting lump here year round.  Some of my best memories are my father grilling brats during snow storms.

As I like to say, BBQ/grilling season here starts January 1, and ends on December 31. 

• Aviator
    Options

So stockpiling some charcoal in the basement is a good idea. Will there be a sale or anything in the fall?

I might as well pick up a couple of bags each visit to walmart.

Chattanooga, TN.

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    My Menards in NW Wisc has Royal Oak (Green Bag) year around althought the supply dwindles in the winter. I just make sure I have 3 or 4 bags in the garage at all times.
    Which Menards is this? Eau Claire, perhaps?

The BGE dealer in EC stocks lump year round, but we all know the cost of it. Been thinking I need to start stocking up from Wally World, but if Menards stocks it, I at least know I have a source if I run low. I get to EC about once/month or so.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great question. This is our first year cooking with charcoal after at least 10 years on a gasser. The old Webber kettle, which my BGE replaced, was only used in the summer. Lump was always available - but I never looked for it in the winter months. 
    Will stock pile some to be safe. Thanks for prompting me to think past next weeks menu!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ch1488
    ch1488 Posts: 5
    Options
    Which Menards is this? Eau Claire, perhaps?

The BGE dealer in EC stocks lump year round, but we all know the cost of it. Been thinking I need to start stocking up from Wally World, but if Menards stocks it, I at least know I have a source if I run low. I get to EC about once/month or so.
    Hwy 8 in St. Croix Falls
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    It had not occurred to me that this might be an issue, but living in the North East I could see it being a problem.

Going to have to do some research/planning and perhaps hoarding :)

TC
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Does Wally world stop selling it? If so I need to start stocking up too!

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    Options
    aparently there are a whole bunch of newbs here. :))

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Lol yup. I'm going on 4 months as an egghead

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    Options
    I am a whole lot newer than that. Actually 2 weeks old. :)

Chattanooga, TN.

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Yep, eggers have to be good planners. Keep buying more lump than you need, keep it in the garage and we won't run out in what others call the "off season". Just like most eggers I cook on my egg every night, year around in all kinds of weather.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Man you guys think of everything, don't know what I'd do without you. I have no idea if I can get it in the winter since I've only had the egg for a few months. Guess I might need to stock up around September to be safe.
  • bigphil
    Options
    so i been buying a few bags every week of RO Wife wanted something out of the shed and opened the side door came back with this picture i remember someone saying to tell their wife you need 300 pounds of lump to be a member here so that was my excuse lol 
  • Aviator
    Options
    holy cow! Thats what is hoarding :)

Chattanooga, TN.

• Coastal_Egger
    Options
    How much are you selling them for? :D
  • bigphil
    Options
    How much are you selling them for? :D
    Depends supply and demand and weather related conditions am guessing if someone is really jones'ing during a blizzard around here with delivery free of course 700/800 a bag  =))