Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Neutral Lump

JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is a very broad question, but can you guys reccomend a neutral flavored lump?

I'm looking for something that provides a very mild smoke flavor for specific cooks. I am currently using Ozark Oak, but are there any out there with less smoke / odor?

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,821
    binchotan charcoal, but it's ridiculously expensive.

• JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    binchotan charcoal, but it's ridiculously expensive.
    The name even sounds expensive lol
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    Wicked Good Weekend Warrier is what I use for "neutral" lump. I find it pretty mild compared to others.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 10,086
    I would recommend Wicked Good Weekend Warrior for an excellent "neutral" flavored lump.  I have used it, Ozark Oak, generic Royal Oak and a few others and for me it is the most neutral of the group.  It takes a while to light but the size and density make it great for the low&slows which is when I use it.  Will go with the others for hot&fast cooks.  FWIW-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs 
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    ABC- 
    edited July 2012
    Excellent guys, thanks for the tip. I'll get some from my local Ace Hardware
    Got 66lbs of lump, as well as a Green Egg Green (British Racing Green) Thermapen ordered!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    WW and cowboy are very neutral, in my experience anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Anything made with maple and birch
  • OMG EggsOMG Eggs Posts: 118

Also, leave the DW as open as possible (or off) to reduce the smoke flavor.  It seems like I can typically hold a dome temp around 325 with no DW.   

• cssmd27cssmd27 Posts: 208
    WGWW is as neutral as they come IMO.  I love it for that reason.  I can add smoke in the amount and quality as I desire while having a clean, hot, long burn.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,055
    Humphrey
    Mark Annville, PA
    WGWW is as neutral as they come IMO.  I love it for that reason.  I can add smoke in the amount and quality as I desire while having a clean, hot, long burn.
    This is what I like to hear right here. That way, the wife is happy with a "normal" cook, and I'm happy when I want to add smoke.

Can't wait to give it a go!

• SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,542

Try orange lump, very little flavor.

We sell quite a bit at our store for just that reason.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA