Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature when using Plate Setter

Options
Unknown
edited July 2012 in Using the Egg
When using the Plate Setter I seem to be stuck at 325 degrees no matter what kind of air I put through the egg.  I've given it lots of time to fully warm up / cool down but it doesn't seem to change.  Has anyone come across this before?  Any Plate Setter tips?
Joe www.BigGreenJoe.com

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    A few questions.. this first one will ALWAYS be asked when having difficulty achieving desired heat fyi.

Are the air holes on the grate clogged?  Usually I stir around the lump and then clean out the ash to ensure the air holes are good. 

Next, how are you getting the temp up?  What I normally do is get the temp to roughly 50 degrees hotter than what I want to cook at, then I put in the platesetter.  I have cooked at 400 with platesetter several times, so hotter than 325 is possible. 

What settings are you at on your DW (if using), and vent?  What I normally do, unless doing a low and slow, is no DW (or lid), and adjust just the bottom vent.  I have found this is easier for me to play with, it is one variable versus two.

GL.  Let me know how it goes! 
  • Unknown
    Options
    I make sure the air holes are clear.  I put the plate setter in once my starter has burned out and I close the lid.  Now that I think about it, this may be the problem.  It's probably best to let the Egg heat up (+50 degrees as you said) then add the plate setter.  I'll give this a go and see what happens.  I'll also try opening the DW more or removing it all together.
    Joe www.BigGreenJoe.com
  • seabird20
    Options

I leave the top completely vented - so maximal airflow. Plate setter feet up. In the medium they won't go feet down. No problem getting to 550. Like you, I add the plate setter as soon as the starter has died down. The slits in the control top (whatever its proper name is) don't do the business. Have it wide open! (and hope it isn't raining!).

I bake all my bread this way and it is the best I have made in 6 years of baking.