Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thai chile relish or.......

GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,476
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I just got my "Food and Wine" magazine and this recipe got me going about all the possibilities:

Light a grill and thread 5 unpeeled garlic cloves on skewers along with 6 Anaheim chilies and 4 unpeeled shallots over a moderately high heat, turning, until tender, about 10 minutes for the garlic and chilies and 20 minutes for the shallots.  Peel, seed and core the chilies.  Add garlic, shallots and peppers to a mortar or food processor.  Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro,  3 T Asian fish sauce (I think 3 T sounds like a lot) 1 T brown sugar and 1 1/2 T fresh lime juice, then serve.

I'm thinking garlic, shallots, any type of pepper, tomatoes, avocados and lemons too and cutting out the fish sauce.  

Garlic, shallots, peppers, peaches, bananas, curry.  

I think I will have some fun with this one I hope you will too.  Hmmmmm, maybe it's something you already do and I'm just a little late to the party!  
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,770
    Sounds like some fun cooking experiments are in your future.  Keep us posted
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,476
    Will do. And it will all be done on the egg. What's could be more fun than that? A trip to Hawaii ???? ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,156
    Try the fish sauce if you are not familiar with it.   An acquired taste, but IMHO well worth it.  Little salty.

Here is a variation you might get some ideas from.
    Sauce, Chile, Sriracha, Oriental

Impress your Chili Head friends by busting out a bottle of
    this DIY Sriracha Chile Sauce! ******Sriracha as we know it today has been
    popularized by Huy Fong Foods and their big red "rooster" bottle (complete with
    a giant rooster logo and bright green cap, making it easy to identify in your
    fridge). But the sauce has a rich history and is named after a coastal city in
    central Thailand's Chonburi Province "Si Racha". Here is a version you can make
    in your own kitchen. It's not as spicy as the Huy Fong version, but it gives you
    major street cred -- especially if you bust out these swing-top stopper bottles
    with hand-carved chili-pepper stamp.********This sauce has a great, addicting
    flavor -- hot, sweet and garlicky -- and just like the real "Rooster Sauce", it
    tastes awesome on just about anything. Next time, I might try red serranos and a
    few extra Thai chilies to up the Scoville factor!

INGREDIENTS:  

**Gloves**  
    1 3/4 lbs    Fresno Chili Peppers, Red Jalapenos or Red Serrano ( I used
    Fresno)

3   Thai Chili Peppers  
    2 Tbs    Garlic Powder + additional as needed  
    2 Tbs    Granulated Sugar + more as needed  
    1 Tbs    light brown sugar  
    3   cloves
    garlic

1/2 cup    distilled white vinegar + more as needed  

Water as needed  
    Kitchen Equipment:  

2lb Glass jar  
    1   bottle  

Funnel  

Metal Strainer  

Sauce pan  

Food Processor  

Wooden Spoon  

PROCEDURE:
    1 Prep the Peppers
    2 *** Please wear gloves while handling chile
    peppers***
    3 Remove stems from chili peppers and half
    lengthwise
    4 Remove outer skin from cloves of garlic. I use the back of a
    knife. Place garlic clove on hard surface, and then press down gently with the
    back of a knife. This will help the skin come off easier.
    5 Measure out sugars and garlic
    powder

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source

Source: Instructables, 2011/08/17

(recipe adapted from The Sriracha Cookbook by Randy Clemens)

I'm not so sure, but the Sriracha sauce I use has a little bit of dried plum
    in it. It give it that Oriental taste that I could not replicate for years! Then
    a Vietnamese friend tried it and said I lacked dried plums.

I don't know what kind I got from the grocery, but it was the only kind they
    had.

re-hydrate them and puree and there.