Ok, after my last steak cook, my gaskets pretty much peeled off. I took my trusty putty knife, and scraped moat of the glue and gunk from the face.
At that point I figured why not try the Nomex I have sitting there. So it went into thw deyer for 45 minutes. Also it looked like i got the end of a strip because now i have 2 seems on the bottom portion.
I took the bands off, removed the lid, inverted on a moving blanket, and sanded it clean, hoping to have a good adhesive surface.
I sprayed the egg face with the 3m super 77, then sprayed the Nomex, and applied it making sure to hunch it up on the inside to prevent stretching, then reassembled it.
So far so good. After sitting 24 hours I lit the egg for 250 for a few hours. The next day i got it over 700 (complete with flashback ;) to make sure I burnt off any glue I might have gotten on the inside.
If this fails, i will re-sand, and just stay gasketless.
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!
All to get cheaper brisket!