Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Man Cannot Live on Brisket Alone

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tonight we (she) made some homemade Fig Jam with Honey, Orange, and Ginger from the fig tree in he folks back yard. Recipe available if you want it, it was delicious.

We (she) then made a cheese plate with Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog (eat this as soon as you can), Sartori Bellavitano (our house fave), and D'affenois (soft cheese similar to a brie). We added some italian dried salame, a few different fresh baked breads, and the fig jam

Then we (me) grilled up a great piece of Halibut and some hearts of Romaine (which I blatantly stole from this site and I'm not sorry)

All and all, it was a good night at Casa Centex- More Pics to follow:

Humboldt Fog, Salame, Fig Jam

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Salame, D'affenois and Fig Jam

Halibut

The Romaine:

The plate: (crap pic but you get the idea)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Cheese Plate with Fig Jam

The Figs:

• allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    This is the most delicious thing I've seen in this site.
    By far.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    How was the romaine? I've been wanting to try that with some Bleu Cheese crumbles and dressing. Not sure how it would taste with the Bleu, would it need something lighter tasting?
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • This is the most delicious thing I've seen in this site.
    By far.

Thanks but keep your eyes open. This is pretty pedestrian compared to some. There are some very creative folks on here.

It was all really good though.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Cen-Tex-that is quite the spread and looks great. And your opening line is probably correct but "brisket and beer" now that could be a prescription for longevity.  Dang-never get that kind of support around here.  Enjoy as I know you will/did!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • allitnils
    By far.

Thanks but keep your eyes open. This is pretty pedestrian compared to some. There are some very creative folks on here.

Well I've only been here for a couple of weeks, and only used my egg three times, so I suppose I've not seen much, but being somewhat bias toward fish, blue cheese AND figs, I'd say it'll be a long time until a meal like this gets challenged. ;)

By far.

Well I've only been here for a couple of weeks, and only used my egg three times, so I suppose I've not seen much, but being somewhat bias toward fish, blue cheese AND figs, I'd say it'll be a long time until a meal like this gets challenged. ;)

welcome aboard but this place will surprise you. Some very talented folks. I'm just rying to keep up.
  • @Cen-Tex-that is quite the spread and looks great. And your opening line is probably correct but "brisket and beer" now that could be a prescription for longevity.  Dang-never get that kind of support around here.  Enjoy as I know you will/did!

Thanks Cap! Been a good week on the egg and I've had a ton of fun doing it. You know you have a good woman when she was looing at these pics and said "damnit, we should have grilled the bread"!

Not only is she a keeper, she's a much better cook than me. That helps when you get outside the box a little and do something fun.

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    "Then we (me) grilled up a great piece of Halibut and some hearts of Romaine (which I blatantly stole from this site and I'm not sorry)"

Yes I ask that you reciprocate by sharing the recipe for the fig jam. I love fig jam. But I don't have access to a tree so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and buy the figs.

• OK- I'll post it separtely so we can all search it. The Fabulous Janell will be along shortly to post it (as me)
    By far.

I Love blue also but this is actually a soft ripened goat cheese with a layer of ash in the middle and the outside.

http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/cheeses/ripened-cheeses/humboldt-fog.html

One of my favorite cheeses (yarra valley Persian feta) on the Planet comes from Australia. If you haven't tried this get it as fast as you can:

http://www.yvd.com.au/marinated-cheeses-persian-fetta.php

It is a soft cows milk feta in herbed olive oil. Once it's opened, you cannot stop until It's gone. Crazy good.

• How was the romaine? I've been wanting to try that with some Bleu Cheese crumbles and dressing. Not sure how it would taste with the Bleu, would it need something lighter tasting?
    It was awesome and blue would be fantastic. It is our new summer Salad.
  • "Then we (me) grilled up a great piece of Halibut and some hearts of Romaine (which I blatantly stole from this site and I'm not sorry)"

Yes I ask that you reciprocate by sharing the recipe for the fig jam. I love fig jam. But I don't have access to a tree so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and buy the figs.

It's posted.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Nice work John and Janell.  Looks awesome!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Nice work John and Janell.  Looks awesome!

Thank you buddy. It was good and fun to do.
  • allitnils
    By far.

I Love blue also but this is actually a soft ripened goat cheese with a layer of ash in the middle and the outside.

One of my favorite cheeses (yarra valley Persian feta) on the Planet comes from Australia. If you haven't tried this get it as fast as you can:

It is a soft cows milk feta in herbed olive oil. Once it's opened, you cannot stop until It's gone. Crazy good.

Yarra Valley cheeses are possibly my favorite. It could potentially be because I live in Victoria - if you were to ask anyone from Sydney who makes the best cheeses, they'd suggest they are made in the Hunter Valley..
    As it is, I'm in agreement.. While I've not been to that particular cheesery, I've tried some incredible cheeses and wines every time I visit the valley..
    By far.

Yarra Valley cheeses are possibly my favorite. It could potentially be because I live in Victoria - if you were to ask anyone from Sydney who makes the best cheeses, they'd suggest they are made in the Hunter Valley..
    As it is, I'm in agreement.. While I've not been to that particular cheesery, I've tried some incredible cheeses and wines every time I visit the valley..

try that persian feta......amazing
  • CT, Is that vegetable ash in the layers of the one cheese?

• CT, Is that vegetable ash in the layers of the one cheese?

yep. In the Humboldt Fog. It is a fantastic cheese
  • My BIL just gave me a ton of cheese that his company in importing from Quebec artisnal cheesemakers. I can't remember the names but some of it is absolutely beautiful. There is a raclette cheese that is just gorgeous. He is with Woolwich Dairies, the goat cheese manufacturer and they are staring to import and market some cow's milk stuff. The stuff with the vegetable ash was too good.
  • My BIL just gave me a ton of cheese that his company in importing from Quebec artisnal cheesemakers. I can't remember the names but some of it is absolutely beautiful. There is a raclette cheese that is just gorgeous. He is with Woolwich Dairies, the goat cheese manufacturer and they are staring to import and market some cow's milk stuff. The stuff with the vegetable ash was too good.
    Nice! Sounds like a good BIL to me. Mine owes me $40 and I can't find him :)

• Ha! Mine owes me a bag of lump but I can't call him on it after the cheese
    Nice! Sounds like a good BIL to me. Mine owes me $40 and I can't find him :)

I'll keep an eye out for it down here. I'm cheese junkie. I actually used to trick-or-treat for cheese on Halloween (true story) when I was 5 or 6. My neighbors would all throw crap Kraft American Singles in my bag and I loved it. Hard to tell how I ended up this way :))