Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Started my first BGE smoked meatloaf today

bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 850
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Put it on about 45 minutes ago and it is up to 104.  Have the cast iron grate on indirect in the XL and have the grate temp reading 255 right now.  Don't want to fuss with it too much more, because my past experience is that the Egg will go up a bit as the meat cooks further.  Overall will try to keep it under 170 for the duration.  Combo 3/4 hickory and 1/4 mesquite for flavor.  Also used salsa/bbq sauce instead of ketchup for the mixture.  Will report back later, but it sure smells good right now.
See der Rabbits, Iowa
·

Comments

• Hogman348Hogman348 Posts: 63
    yum
    Woodstock, GA
    ·
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 850
    When it hit 155, I put on a coat of ketchup and German mustard and let it cook to 160.  It is presently wrapped and in the cooler awaiting friends to arrive.  MMM meatloaf sammies coming up.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·