Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow cooked lamb (and more) - photos from this weekend's cook.

Options
allitnils
allitnils Posts: 109
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
First, the story. Then, the recipe. Of course, most will probably scroll through to see the photos.
In any case, here it goes:
It's the middle of winter in Melbourne - we're getting the lowest temperatures experienced in over 15 years, and I felt like a warm, hearty meal.
The first thing that came to mind was, of course, a classic boeuf bourguignon. A perfect meal consisting of big cuts of beef, red wine and tomatoes, slowly simmered for hours until the beef practically melts like butter.
And so I hopped on my bike and rode to the market, only 5 minutes away from my house, to buy the necessary ingredients.
Once there, the butcher where I generally buy the meat from had a big sign out the front: "Organic farmed lamb, today only".
An offer I couldn't refuse.
So, in my bag went a whole lamb's shoulder, some garlic, rosemary and thyme.
Of course, a bottle of red wine was also included; after all, I was already going to get one for the boeuf dish.. A 2008 Zinfandel, which handled the roasted lamb and garlic really well.
Came back home, patted the lamb dry, and proceeded to cook my very simple, yet incredibly tasty recipe of roast shoulder of lamb, cooked low and slow, with some garlic and rosemary and kosher salt, garnished with thyme, and when cooked, splashed with a dash of truffle oil.
Rubs?
Spices?
When produce is this fresh and delicious, it seems criminal to alter its flavour with anything else.
And so: my slow cooked lamb shoulder.
Cooked, indirect, at a low heat, for many hours.. Until the meat melts.

Anyone who reads my posts would, of course, know that I'm almost compulsive when it comes to eating healthy, and a complete meal could not go without a salad..... Of sorts. :P

This time, I did use the egg to help me create it. Some of it, anyway.
And so, photo 3:
Quinoa, raw, thinly sliced radish, chickpeas, bean sprouts, and roasted beetroot (roasted with the lamb in the egg), also thinly sliced. 
Lightly dressed with a cherry balsamic vinegar and a drop or two of sesame oil, and garnished with baby leaves.

And lastly, because I was feeling somewhat indulgent, and because it is the weekend, and because I had spent the whole morning running, chocolate mousse cooked in water, served over a mandarine and mango sauce with tempered dark chocolate.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I'm not a fan of beetroot but your entire meal (salad included) looks and sounds fantastic! Nice pics too!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • allitnils
    Options
    Thanks.. It turned out nicely.. The sweetness of the beetroot was a good ontrast to the spicy crunch of the radishes....
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Looks so good! I love roasted lamb, and I am so sick and tired of these +100° days we are experiencing here. I cannot wait for fall!
  • allitnils
    Options
    Looks so good! I love roasted lamb, and I am so sick and tired of these +100° days we are experiencing here. I cannot wait for fall!

It was lovely.. Lamb is obviously a huge market in Australia but aside from spring or summer I don't generally buy it as it generally tends to have a strong gamey taste..
    Happy to have trusted my butcher with this one though.. It was mild and tender, and the meat soft, almost sweet....

And we are having 3-4 degree nights.. That's around 34 degrees F..... Might not seem that low to some, but I can't wait for spring. :)
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited July 2012
    Options
    This thread has me thinking of getting some nice lamb chops next weekend! ....and shepherd's pie in the egg, and braised lamb shanks in the egg....and so on!
  • allitnils
    Options
    Braised lamb shanks? Now I'm intrigued..! ;)
  • allitnils
    Options
    hhm.. i can't see the photos i uploaded - can anyone confirm?
  • allitnils
    Options
    never mind.. working now. :S
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks delicious!  I love to eat lamb with a yogurt or sour cream based horseradish sauce with fresh mint.
    Options
    Looks delicious!  I love to eat lamb with a yogurt or sour cream based horseradish sauce with fresh mint.
    yep, my favourite way of eating lamb is generally with home-made tzatziki..
    Not a big fan of horseradish though, but once went to a restaurant where I got a steak with a horseradish and creme fraishe sauce and was divine..