Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Too much char taste?

EllerEller Posts: 56
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Grilled some veggies on my large last night. Zucchini, yellow squash, yellow onion, mushrooms, garlic and EVOO. I went indirect at 350 degrees dome temp. and the veggies were in a cast iron skillet for 20 minutes. The veggies tasted like smoke, but not in a good way, more like the smell of a burnt 2 by 4. Oddly, the 2 chicken breasts I cooked next to  the vegetables tasted great. All your advice is appreciated on why my cook went wrong.

Comments

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,497
    How long between starting the fire and putting food on? Did the smoke go clearer?
  • EllerEller Posts: 56
    I still had a lot a smoke when I out the veggies on, maybe about 10 minutes.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,156
    edited July 2012
    Too long IMHO  Maybe the veggies picked up some burnt oil in the pan. Check into a wok!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    you didn't wait long enough for the start-up smoke to clear.

gotta smell the smoke.  if it smells good coming out of the egg, it's ok to put food into the gg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EllerEller Posts: 56
    Yea. I think I rushed it. I spead the coals to get an even burn and I guess I created some bad smoke by not letting the new coal get a burn on.