Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt timing and other issues

Options
MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seems like a lot of posts on here about peoples pork butts finish too early. A lot of people seem to be putting them on too early, like 9 PM for a dinner the following day. That's 20+ hours--in my experience it would be very rare for a butt to take that long. 

What works for me

Light egg at 10:30 PM. This gives it plenty of time to stabilize. Seems like a lot of folks aim for a dome temp that's too low. 250-270 dome is fine and more sustainable than 200-220 dome I see some people aiming for. My egg seems to naturally stabilize right around 250-260 and then sit there like a rock.

Put ~ 8 lb butt on at 12:30 AM for 6 PM dinner, then I go to bed. In my experience this typically finishes between 3 and 5 PM, you can FTC for a couple of hours and be ready to pull and serve. Just my experience--everyone's mileage will vary of course, but this has consistently worked for me.