Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country style rib help

Options
Willus
Willus Posts: 14
edited July 2012 in Pork
Tomorrow I cook country style ribs on my large BGE. Any ideas\tips? Help?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Country style "ribs" are actually just slices of pork shoulder. You will need to cook them low and slow however you see fit. Maybe 250 for a few hours until they start falling apart. Think of it as a roast and not as ribs. They are the furthest thing from actual ribs as you will find.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    Options
    When I get country style ribs from my butcher, he will include the back ribs attached to the loin continuing  to the chine bone. I can get them as many toe as the pig has ribs. That said, what he sells as country style rib is not the normal definition.

Anyone else get sold this type of country style spares?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    When I get country style ribs from my butcher, he will include the back ribs attached to the loin continuing  to the chine bone. I can get them as many toe as the pig has ribs. That said, what he sells as country style rib is not the normal definition.

Anyone else get sold this type of country style spares?
    mines the same but the chine is removed, looks more like the small end of the loin with short ribs attached. these are what was always known as country ribs, the ones cut from the butt section are a more recent marketing gimmick to sell more of the butt section. the first two inches of rib section cut off a country loin are called riblets, now they are selling neck bones as riblets, another marketing gimic
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Tomorrow I cook country style ribs on my large BGE. Any ideas\tips? Help?
    there are two types sold, ones sliced from the butt and those get low and slowed til they tender up. the other is from the front loin, think of it as a pork chop, roast around 300 and off the grill at 140, i like them seared then roasted and sauced or fried
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it