Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear

Options
SmoothSmoke
SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is it possible to reverse sear w/o using the plate setter?   

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I suppose your question is more towards the indirect cook portion of a reverse sear. I think you have a medium Egg? I've yet to cook on a medium so I'm not sure if the firebox is big enough to pile your lump to one side and cook on the indirect side and then flip to direct for the sear finish. If you have a set up for raised direct cooks (like a Woo) you can start raised direct at lower temps and then remove the Woo for the sear. If you have a Woo a baking stone or even a drip pan can sit on it for the indirect portion of the cook. If you don't have a way to go raised direct I'd try a low heat direct cook followed by a sear.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Yeah, I have a medium.  I do have a plate setter now but am already hating the idea of taking it out for my reverse sears. I normally would bank the coals on my other grills.  I don't think I'll have enough real estate to do that in the medium.  I too thought about a low heat direct cook then searing.  I'm just concerned about flare ups increasing the temps. 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have done them where I put the steaks on a small rack above a pie plate during the roasting phase, then I don't have to mess with taking a plate setter out.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I always reverse sear without a plate setter...
    +1  I just put the steaks on a direct grill @ about 375-400 with a probe inserted into center of steak.  When it gets to 120, I pull the steaks, put in a pan covered with foil and fire it up.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You won't have flare ups. Just choke it down to the to you want do it direct or raised grid over a pizza stone or pie pan. You can certainly roast direct of you want.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Thanks!  I'm going to give it a go and will post the results. 
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    I have done a reverse sear on Tritip with the platesetter and without the platesetter. Honestly, I can't tell a difference between the two.