Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Little Leftover Lumps?

TN_EggerTN_Egger Posts: 162
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've cleaned out my egg a few times and always come up with a bucket load of small (smaller than a golf ball) pieces of lump.  Is there any useful purpose for this stuff?

Monteagle, TN

one large and one small

·

Comments

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    I mix it in during the next cook.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
    ·
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    I just put it on top of the new lump. 
    ·
  • AirwolfAirwolf Posts: 76
    I never sort my lump after a cook..... I tend to mound the 'used' lump up to the side, put my new lump in the center then place some of the old lump on the new lump.
    ·
  • PorkrindPorkrind Posts: 14
    I throw the decent pieces on top of the new lump. I throw the dust in the garden.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited July 2012
    Keep it simple.  Shake the ash off the old lump, then dump new lump on top and light using your favorite method.  I do this every time I light the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • After my cooks I add fresh lump If needed, then stir it all together. Works great. No reason the old lump won't work well.
    ·
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    Another plus is you get a little smoke flavor from the past cooks.
    ·