Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Little Leftover Lumps?

TN_EggerTN_Egger Posts: 267
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've cleaned out my egg a few times and always come up with a bucket load of small (smaller than a golf ball) pieces of lump.  Is there any useful purpose for this stuff?

Monteagle, TN

one large and one small

Comments

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    I mix it in during the next cook.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    I just put it on top of the new lump. 
  • AirwolfAirwolf Posts: 76
    I never sort my lump after a cook..... I tend to mound the 'used' lump up to the side, put my new lump in the center then place some of the old lump on the new lump.
  • PorkrindPorkrind Posts: 14
    I throw the decent pieces on top of the new lump. I throw the dust in the garden.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,879
    edited July 2012
    Keep it simple.  Shake the ash off the old lump, then dump new lump on top and light using your favorite method.  I do this every time I light the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• After my cooks I add fresh lump If needed, then stir it all together. Works great. No reason the old lump won't work well.
  • Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    Another plus is you get a little smoke flavor from the past cooks.