Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Woking the Medium Egg

cheifcookcheifcook Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in Vegetarian
Purchased a 14" cast iron Wok from Lodge.  It fits perfectly in the egg with the handles supporting the wok.  Heated to about 400 degrees with seseme oil to start the sautee.  Used veges, zucinni, onions, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms and green peppers.  Added a dash of wheat free soy sauce. Took about 15 minutes to brown.  Served over a bed of quinou.
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,814
    Sounds like a nice snack.. As you get more comfortable with the set-up, bring the temperature up to 450-500 and sear the food.  should take 5 minutes or so.  Also don't overfill the wok or the food will not sear and hold the flavors. Do multiple batches if need be.
    ·
  • cheifcookcheifcook Posts: 9
    Great suggestion.  Prior preperation is the key.  Being that cooking time is minimal the multiple batches make sense.
    ·
  • bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    Do you cook in the wok with the egg lid up?
    Charleston, SC
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,814
    The only time I have the lid down with a wok is when I am steaming something in a bamboo steamer.  You need the top up so  you can max the fire and stir constantly.

A few thoughts to help cook:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1240033&catid=1
    ·
  • cheifcookcheifcook Posts: 9
    I leave the lid open and stop down the damper to about 1 inch to control the fire.  I would guess the wok is at 450 to 500 degrees.  Each batch I cook the meat seperatly in the wok.
    ·
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Do you cook in the wok with the egg lid up?
    Yes
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Love the colors of your dish. Looks tasty!
    ·
  • tisoypopstisoypops Posts: 190
    @cheifcook‌ what do you think about that cast iron wok from lodge? Have you ever used a carbon steel to compare? I've heard good things about both and I'm curious.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
    ·