Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lucy wasn't juicy

Options
Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Couldn't resist the title...made some juicy Lucy style burgers last night with bacon and cheese stuffed in the middle. Flavor was great, but not much cheese in the middle. I used a whole slice, but there was some oozing during the cook. Any tips to prevent this, or should I just use a lot more cheese next time?

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Make sure to really seal the patty up well, the best method I have found is to make two thin patties with one larger in diameter than the other. load up you fix'ns on the larger patty then cover with the other. Wrap the edges of the larger patty over the smaller one and then really make a good tight seal.

Some places use a little butter in with the filling to make it more juicy, but that just runs all over my shirt so I don't do it. Remember that you are really cooking two very thin burgers here with toppings so the time will be shorter on the grill and give it a good rest.

Oh ya make sure to season all sides of the patty before you put them together. 

Like you my first attempts came out dry with a bit of ooze, now they are great. I fell to temptation and bought an apparatus that makes a well in the burger that you fill then cap with more ground beef, although it works very well it does not work well for a traditional burger it is just way too big! Makes a great burger steak with blue cheese, gilled onions, and mushrooms stuffed inside (yes it is that big).
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    What is that apparatus called, link?
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Here it is on Amazon, like I said above this makes a huge burger.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.