Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Time on the Egg

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So after I got my LBGE home I fired it up. Failed the first time, figured out I did not put the starters far enough down so tried again, success it started up and climbed to 400 after about 10 min or so. Then I started tapering it down till it stayed at 450 then threw on the burgers direct( frozen, all I had in the house). Learned the hard way that things heat up quick and soared right through medium rare to well done! Blech, my hubby still ate but not so great for my first cook. No pics of "burnt" burgers! I hope to get some real food and try again tomorrow. I am humbled this is tougher than I thought. I may be down but not out!

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    LOL You will get it! 
  • STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    It is not hard, you need to back down your vents about 50 degrees below your desired temp. Once you go above your desired temp it is difficult to get it back down. You will be a pro in no time and making some of the best food you have ever made.  Have fun.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Just remember the lump is burning at 700+ 
  • LizzieSamps
    I am almost afraid to admit it, but this was the first time cooking on anything other then gas!! Shocker I know!! It is all new to me but I just can't wait till I got it and can post pics like you all!
  • I feel ya. I'm still learning. It is a fine art and I will continue to get better as will you.
  • HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    I just switched from gas to the egg, so far all good but different for sure. Went to a local Eggfest and picked up alot of good tips, Planning on attending another eggfest in a few weeks.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Most important thing I learned is patience. Let the temp stabilize where you want it for at least 30 minutes. Biggest mistake I made in the beginning was rushing things. Even when cooking high and hot, remember to go slow.
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Lizzie your in good company..

Today was my first cook, and I did ribs. I think I could have left the ribs on at least two more hours. They were just a bit underdone, but the family was starving. I had them on for 4 hours at 220 indirect. 

We live and learn!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Every cook is a learning experience-the journey (especially those low&slows) is the best part.  Again welcome and ask away-there any several here who will help with any issue BGE related (or not).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I am almost afraid to admit it, but this was the first time cooking on anything other then gas!! Shocker I know!! It is all new to me but I just can't wait till I got it and can post pics like you all!
    I was in the same boat and now I feel very comfortable with charcoal cooking; 3 months after I started cooking on egg. Moral of story, give it a few cooks and it will be easy piezy.
  • LizzieSamps
    Tonight's menu spatchcocked chickens, corn on the cob and asparagus. I have researched and will be using the Naked Whiz method. So wish me good luck! Thanks for all your positive comments!
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Lizzie,

The hardest thing for me going from the gas to the egg, was steaks, burgers, chops. Go slow is good advice, once you get it you will love it. The only time the gas grill is fired up is when I have a real time issue.

George
    George
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Just got my LBGE yesterday and tried some chicken. Came out good.

So much to learn.

Have a question. My SS grate seems to be way down when I see others who have them level with the top edge of the egg when open. I am using a plate setter legs up and the grate on it. But it is sitting low. What am I missing/ need?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    I have the LBGE and with platesetter, legs up the grate sits about 1/2" below the felt line.  You are likely seeing pics of cooks done raised grid (generally direct) w/o the platesetter.  This setup uses something to elevate the cooking grid higher in the dome away from the lump.  There are lots of after-market ways to get the raised grid effect but for starters you can use fire brick, empty beer cans, nuts and bolts combo and another grid-weber makes a 17" diameter that works for me to achieve that cook set-up.  Search raised grids (may be better to use google as the search function here is pretty weak) for more info.  And welcome.  Remember to enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    Congrats Aviator on the egg!! Yup I am figuring out a way to get a raised setup for tonight's cook! Thanks Lousubcap for the weber suggestion!
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Good luck in all future cooks! No question will go unanswered here. I'm not sure were I'd be without all these good people.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @LizzieSamps letting the egg get to temp and then stabilizing for awhile is important.  The thermo is going to climb, slow or fast, depending on how you started the fire.  If you are going for say 450, start shutting the bottom vent at 400 and let it climb slowly to 450.  At your target temp, you can adjust bottom and DW vents to make the temp sit right there.

Little practice and you will love it.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Aviator,

Many guys use different set ups, raised grid set ups, or different set ups for indirect etc. Many ways to skin a cat. Also I wanted to give another tip.. let the egg go for a while, I usually let smoke go clear (as long as no wood chunks), or else the smoke will be acrid and give a nasty taste. Rule of thumb is if the smoke smells good it will taste good.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    @Lizzie

If you have a plate setter then you can do the chicken indirect. Put the place setter on the fire ring legs up, place a drip pan on the plate setter (I use the little green feet on a heavy duty cooking tray lines with HDAF, btw great place to toss on potatoes to roast in the chicken drippings), then the cooking grate. I do my spatchcocks at 400 this way and they take about one hour, skin is nice and crispy chicken is moist. 

You can also to turkeys this way, actually my preferred method of cooking them now.

Enjoy your EGG and this forum, the amount of knowledge here is incredible.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok thanks everyone, the fire is lit I have been holding steady at 450 for 20 min then realized that I need 375 so backing it off and will keep that going.  Starting a new thread,  I like organization.  2nd cook Spatch chicken!