Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fresh Sweet Basil

Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,843
edited June 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
3 weeks ago a friend gave me a gallon zip loc bag of sweet basil.  Made the obligatory pesto, pizza and red sauce. 
 Yesterday he gifted me with another bag same size.  Can I just put in food processor with water or evoo , puree and freeze for the future? 
Any thoughts are eggpreciated.
·

Comments

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,647
    No need for water...  Just put in food processor, add evoo at the end and freeze in ice cube trays.

edited June 2012
    edit: posted twice...

i freeze any basil i have in the fall, it keeps its flavor but basil turns black when frozen, still its fine added to sauces and stews but it wont look fresh again
    ·
  • mrjwhitmrjwhit Posts: 83
    My little girl's have a garden and wouldn't you know we were trying to decide what to do with the basil tree we've grown. Thanks for the ideas. What about cilantro, chives and thyme? 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    I've always freeze extra pesto. Then in the food processor i add the EVOO, and if i keep it on a jar, i make sure there is a layer of EVOO on the top to keep air out.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·