Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Ribs

Options
JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Do they exist? Looking for a quick recipe. I have a rib rack and rubs. Just need method and temp ideas. 

I'd like to head up to the store, and be eating them by let's say, 8pm.

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Look for recipes for turbo ribs.  Or if you want to do them indirect @ around 350 you are looking @ a cook time of around 90 minutes, the draw back is that you rub will not have a lot of time to set in.  Enjoy!
    Edina, MN

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

I asked a question on a previous post about dome vs. grill temp. on a direct cook. The purpose was to determine what dome temp. to use for direct cooking of BB's. I decided to try 300 dome with my AR oval grill at the felt line. Before we got the large Egg we would do BB's on a Weber gasser. Although we love low and slow ribs, I needed to come up with a way to do them when I didn't get home from work until 6 PM. Since the wife didn't like to mess with the grill, I couldn't start cooking until I got home and I didn't want to wait until 10 or 11 PM to eat, so I came up with a way to have ribs with a 1 hour cook. We've been doing these for the last 10 years or so, when time was a issue.

I'd have the wife take the ribs out of the fridge an hour before I got home and rub them with Worcestershire and season. Then I would cook for 30 minutes bone side down @ 325, flip and cook meat side down for 10 minutes, flip and add sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, pull and tent with alum. foil for 10-15 minutes.

The following pics are my 1st attempt to do a fast cook on the Egg @300 dome at the felt line.

2 racks cut in half to fit on the oval grill, 1 rack seasoned with Dizzy Dust Coarse and 1 seasoned with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoningimage

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

After 30 minutes flipped to meat sideimage

After 10 minutes flipped back to bone side and saucedimage

After 20 minutes, pulled and tented for 15 minutesimage

Sliced up and ready to eatimage

What I will do different next time is start the fire in 4 spots, half way between the center of the lump and fire box. On this cook I started the fire in 1 spot, dead center of the lump. This created some hot spots during the 1st 30 minutes of the cook. I may reduce the dome to 275 and cook at the felt line or add the extender to the AR and cook higher in the dome @ 300. If you want BB's and time is an issue, give this a try and post what you think.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options

I read Bill's post before I cooked my first turbo ribs, so credit is due.  Here's what I did:

Get a good hunk of baby backs and remove the membrane from the skin side (use butter knife to get it loose, and a paper towel to grip the membrane).  Brush on a good coat of yellow mustard (it cooks off) and then apply your favorite rub liberally (I used Dizzy Dust and Montreal Steak, mixed).

Get the Egg stabilized at 350 and add a few good sized chunks of hickory (soak them overnight in water).  Cook at 350 on indirect heat.  Platesetter, legs up, with the grid on top.  Place an aluminum pan filled with 2 inches of apple juice beneath the ribs (for the last 1.5 hours if you want).  Turn every 30 minutes and spray with apple juice.  Add additional rub if needed.

Drink lots of beverages while you cook your awesomeness.  My cook took 3:20.

During the last 20ish minutes, baste the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce - until it caramelizes.  The ribs are done when they pass the bend and/or toothpick test.  Let the ribs rest for at least 10 minutes while lightly covered in foil.

Enjoy 100% awesomeness with a cold beverage.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL