Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

another note to self......

tjvtjv Posts: 3,165
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
did burgers and brats last night.  started with burgers on lower slider then flipped and moved up to top grid with brats.  had a purdy good fire going with plenty of smoke from the grease dropping.... 

removed the burgers and shut all the vents to let the brats go a little longer.  smoke kept leaking from the  dome and first thought, oh the perfect flashback scenario.....burped the egg, opened it about 4 inches and could only see smoke.....second thought.....oh, there's a flashback brewing down there......after a couple seconds smoke started clearing and before I could get to thought three.......ya, you guested it......I'm a knucklehead as I brushed off all the fried hair.......lol

brats turned out great though.....

note to self....where there is smoke there is fire, knucklehead......
www.ceramicgrillstore.com
ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,290
    TJ, can you make a recommendation as to what I should buy form the cgs? I have a newer XL and want to be able to WOK, and also have multiple levels of cooking surface and a possible swing out if possible.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,747
    Hey Tom, maybe the flash gave the brats a nice crisp for the skin.
    Question when shutting all the vents, do you notice some "bad" smoke?
    Then again, I guess not since you do it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 12,819
    Bigger question: what time is dinner?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini....

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,161

I have only completely shut the BGE down when cooking twice and both times yielded the "bad smoke" to which you refer.  Now, if I need a couple of minutes more on something, I will occassionally shut the lower vent but leave the DFMT where it initially was-no bad smoke.  FWIW-

Louisville
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,165
    Hey Tom, maybe the flash gave the brats a nice crisp for the skin.
    it's a gamble closing the vents.  That's why I took the burgers out first.  With brats, I figure they are all fat anyway, so not much to loose.  I had them running like that for maybe 5 minutes......

michigan_jason, probably best to call me... number is on the site.

Mickey,  got 'em for lunch today too......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • jay75jay75 Posts: 153
    Hey Tom, just received the R&B combo you sent me and I have to say well done on packing it, everything arrived in great condition even the oval stone! I can't wait to try it out as soon as I get my replacement base, Thankyou for all your help and patience. I couldn't help but giggle a bit reading your post... I'm a full member of the order of singed hair!
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,747
    BTW, I got my r&b combo oval with spider and extender last night. Everything packed great. Can't wait to take away all that shininess with a massive cook.
    thanks
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!