Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Yet another new gasket thread.

allitnilsallitnils Posts: 109
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yes, it's been discussed in the past, but I'm exceptionally excited about the fact that my Nomex gasket arrived in the mail today.
Unfortunately they're practically impossible to find in Australia; almost as hard as it is to find a supplier in the US who will happily deliver to me.

In any case, it looks considerably shorter than what I would have imagined it should be. Hopefully there'll be enough material to cover both base and lid.

I've read a few posts across the site suggesting that the gasket should be pre-shrunk before fitting. Anyone know the specifics about this? How much surface area is lost due to shrinking the gasket?

Anyway I'll be spending Saturday cleaning up the grill, and getting it ready for a cooking session on Sunday, providing the gasket replacement goes well! :)

Comments

• xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I "pre shrunk" mine in a oven at 350 for about a hour. I don't think it actually shrunk more like completely removed any water in it. When I installed mine I had a **** of a time getting the ceramic surface clean so I resorted to 60grit sand paper on a random orbit sander and it cleaned it up to bare white ceramic. Than wiped it down with acetone. Cooked a few times at 250 for 12+ hours before i went high heat and the gasket is still in pristine condition.

• jay75jay75 Posts: 153
    I followed Fred's music & BBQ method and "pre-shrunk" my nomex, but if I'm totally honest I couldn't see any definite difference in size after, I am probably going to do my new one in the oven as Xraypat23 suggested, due to the fact that since I installed the nomex on my now cracked base it has shrunk about 1mm at where the ends meet, I did use high temp silicone as my adhesive, so your mileage may differ.