Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Wing Recepi

Options
Dannyo14
Dannyo14 Posts: 19
edited June 2012 in Cookbook
Looking for a good wing recipe.  I think I will do them direct with a rub (need that) and then toss them in a sauce and put them back on for 5.  Any suggestions welcome. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Wings and Turkey legs I like direct / raised / 400 and very little pecan/cherry chips (don't want to much smoke on them).

I dust them with Butt Rub and a few min's before done I like Bone Sucking Sauce.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Dannyo14 check out the wing recipe on Dizzy Pig website.  I've used it, followed it exactly and they were excellent.
  • BankerJohn
    Options
    take frozen wings from bag, toss with favorite seasonings, place on raised grid, direct, for an hour or until internal reaches 158.  You may want to rotate the grid over the direct flame every 10-15 minutes.  I personally endorse www.DizzyPigBBQ.com and their rubs. 
    Weekend job: husband, father, camper, outdoorsman, Big Geen Egg Eddict. In my day job, I provide financial peace of mind to business owners, retirees and professsional entertainers/athletes, serving as a trusted advisor, guiding clients through a defined process to help them preserve, protect, grow and successfully transfer their wealth. Call for your free private briefing: 352-422-one six zero six. Thought for the day: "Life is like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." - Anonymous Banker John aka John McCullough, CRPC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options

raised grid direct, cook 'em as hot as you can without burning them at your given grid height.....I go super raised grid at 400+ish usually. 

if the rub does not have sugar in it, try adding turbinado sugar to the rub. the more sugar the more gooey they are when grilling......and mo' betta tastin'.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mickey has you covered.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

google big green egg jerk chicken recipe, copy it with drumsticks from a whole foods, fresh market, etc. (they tend to have less fat, and are normal size. Our bilo wings are fatty and about 4 times the size of what a wing is supposed to look like.

I like to marinate for 3-4 days, don't forget the habanero peppers in the jerk rub. you'll never order wings out again.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What kind of flavors are you shooting for? There are all types of wings from Buffalo (Frank's hot sauce and butter), Jerk, teriyaki, Cajun, BBQ, ranch, lemon pepper, garlic parmesan....the list goes on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    My Hot Wings Recipe:

-About 30 whole wings separated
    -garlic powder
    -Cajun seasoning
    -onion powder
    -1 and a half large bottles Frank's Red Hot
    -butter
    -honey
    -cracked black pepper
    -cooking oil
    -Apple wood for smoke

Season rinsed and dried wings with your favorite cajun rub and a little garlic powder and onion powder. Add some dashes of Louisiana hot sauce, I like Frank's, and a couple teaspoons cooking oil. Set aside while you start the egg up.
    Fire up egg to 300-350, platesetter legs up/indirect. Add your preferred wood smoke. Toss on the wings and cook for 30-45 minutes, flip and cook another 30-45 minutes or until desired doneness careful to tend to outer wings cook faster .
    Meanwhile, simmer 1 large bottle of the Frank's sauce, a generous dash of garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper. Add a chunk of butter (bout a quarter to half a stick) and add about 3 tablespoon of honey, or more to taste. More honey and butter makes a milder sauce. Adjust the ratio to your own preference. Let simmer.
    Now pull your wings off the egg and place in large bowl. Take your simmered sauce, poor half over the wings and toss aggressively, saving the remaining sauce. 
    Now, put the sauced wings BACK on the grill and continue cooking for another 10 minutes or until the coating becomes caramelized and kind of crispy. Pull the wings and toss them in the remaining sauce. Serve with blue cheese dressing and a cold beer.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47