Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What are the advantages?

crunkcrunk Posts: 94
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I see a lot of discussion and hear a lot of people talking about how much they like their woo because it raises the cooking surface....could someone pleasea rookie like me what the advantages of cooking higher in the grid are? 

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Sure. I've been egging for 8 years and just learned myself. It keeps more delicate cuts (like fish and poultry) from charring before cooked. The direct heat is a little more gentle with a raised grid (thanks Mickey)

• SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,284
    From thermodynamics class - Three components to heat transfer; conduction, convection, radiation. When cooking direct in the Egg raising the grid puts a little more distance between the food and the coals, which reduces the radiation component. 
  • crunkcrunk Posts: 94
    Thanks Guys.....