Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

pulled beef - take 2

tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,747
edited June 2012 in Beef
OK, a short while back I tried to make pulled beef. And it was good, but not pull-able.
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140100/chuck-roast-first-pulled-beef-kinda#Item_14

Tonight is take 2. Same rub, about 3.5 lbs. cooked from 250-280 with some hickey chunks.
I put it on at 3, and it went for the first hour was on above the drip pan with lots of smoke. After one hour, I wrapped it in foil, and put it in the drip pan in case the foil ripped. I still do not want to loose any of that juicy goodness.
Here are some pics:
2012-06-25_16-36-10_107.jpg
3264 x 1840 - 1M
2012-06-25_17-31-39_951.jpg
1840 x 3264 - 2M
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,747
    edited June 2012
    And another pic after 3 hours.
    2012-06-25_19-04-00_133.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 1M
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    And the final pull able product.
    the Mrs had to take over as I brought my folks home.
    The house mouse got the first taste.
    2012-06-25_21-18-40_855.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 2M
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,615
    edited June 2012
    So, how did it taste and how easily did it pull?

I do these a lot.  I don't inject and I don't foil during the cook.
    I just coat heavily with rub and throw them on and don't open the lid until they reach 205. 
    Then I check multiple spots to make sure it's at least 205 everywhere.  No problem going higher internal than that.  Take off and foil for a short time and pull.  Never had one that didn't turn out using this technique. I like to keep it simple.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

I didnt eat it tonight. It was a "got time to get this cooked". It'll be dinner for tomorrow.
    The last time I injected with Stubbs chipolte butter. IMHO, it was juicer and more flavorful.
    Also there was much more Au jus, however my son thought it was too spicy, so I skipped it this time.

The Mrs isn't sure of the temp she pulled it off at, probably about 210, but it is fork-able.
    right now it's in the fridge in its own juices.
    She's happy with it, at the least I think it needs salt and/or vinegar.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,615
    Not against injecting, just never tried it.  I'll have to get myself one of those things so I can experiment someday.
    Glad it turned out...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

Don't get me wrong, its good. Tomorrow I will add some sauce during warming.
    I also got my taste cold.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    OK made some potatoes and onions, with salt pepper, onion the same rub i used on the pulled beef. I liked them, but the rest of the family not so much cause of the smoke flavor. I thought it was lightly smoked. Might be from smoking EVOO.
    The Mrs made sauteed broccoli with garlic and EVOO.
    I made a pulled pork sauce, from a recipe here somewhere. The whole family loves this.
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar.

And serves on a cheap burger bun.
    2012-06-26_17-51-07_439.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 2M
    2012-06-26_18-56-36_80.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 1M
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    Btw, just realized, I was burning the oil on the potatoes @350 dome direct. I switched it to indirect for most of the cook, and will just do indirect next time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!