Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Jerked Pork Shoulder

NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a pork picnic shoulder using the Boston Bay Jerked Pork recipe from the book Smoke & Spice yesterday. 

It has been a while since I cooked a picnic shoulder instead of a pork butt.   I had some temp spikes as you can see.  The first rise was from the opening the Egg to mop.  I don't think I've mopped anything since buying my Egg years ago but the recipe called for it.  The second spike was intentional.  After 90 minutes at 177f internal, I bumped the cooking temp instead of foiling.

I pulled it off at 197f, foiled it and let it rest for two hours.

The results were great.  Flavorful dark bark, nice smoke ring, and juicy pork.

For the sandwiches, I made a grilled pineapple salsa and drizzle it all with a finishing sauce (BBQ sauce spiked with pineapple juice 4:1 ratio).

It was my best pork shoulder of the year.  The jerk flavors were a nice change up from the traditional pulled pork and the Trinidad scorpion chile I used in it really brought some heat.  I also liked using the picnic shoulder for a change. 
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,915
    Looks great and thanks for the steer-I use Smoke & Spice as one of my main references-but have looked right past that recipe. Not again-
    Louisville
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    Funny, me too.  I have had that book for years and this is the first time I made that recipe.  I'm glad that I finally made it. 

I halved the rub recipe they gave and it was plenty for one 9lb picnic.   I also cut the amount of cayenne and added 18th of a tsp of a secret ingredient.....

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,890
    edited June 2012
    What type of grate is that?

And that looks amazing!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • KimmykinsKimmykins Posts: 10
    I think I need a new iPad. It seems to have landed in a puddle of saliva.
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    MrCookingNurse - it is a Craycort cast iron grate. 

Kimmykins - Ummm I'll check my drool liability insurance, ha ha.  Thanks.
    ·