Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a "burned gasket"?

mrjwhit
mrjwhit Posts: 83
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I let my BGE get up to 600 and then closed off daisy wheel and shut the lower vent. The temps went down to 300, but look what happened to my gasket. I've had the BGE for 2 week and have cooked on it 6 times. What do I do? 
Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Call BGE and they should ship you a new high temp nomex gasket at no charge.  However, a lot of us end up either going without a gasket, or using a Rutland since they don't burn.  If you search the website you'll see this happens to everyone sooner or later.  I went rutland and haven't had a problem.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    As stated call BGE and get them to ship you a NOMEX. You will need to.get a can of 3m super 77 to put it on but they work good.
  • theman48
    theman48 Posts: 12
    same thing happen to me after just a few weeks  I called BGE and they ship me the nomex gasket all u have to buy is 3m super 77  
  • The original felt gaskets usually start to melt on their inner circumference but they are still good.  What usually happens is a high heat event causes the gaskets to separate and/or stick together which ruins them or exposes them to a lot of heat.  Its actually the separation that starts the process.  Definitely call BGE and get a Nomex.  You can buy 3M 77 adhesive now and use that to re-attach your original gasket so you can cook before the new gasket comes - and eventually perform your replacement when your original gasket separates again.

There are lots of youtube video's on how to apply a gasket - I applied 3M 77 to both the gasket and the BGE rims and have found that to work well.
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    Same thing happened to mine. I glued it back with the spray 77 and got 2 more months and a lot of cooks out of it. 600* pizza cook finished it. Going to do a low and slow tomorrow. If it does not cause temp control problems I may not go to the trouble to replace it. 
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    I reached out to HQ via email. I'll also call them Monday. I noticed that there was no smoke coming from around the lid of the Egg while it was cooking. So I'm thinking that the seal should be ok until I get a new one from HQ or just go out and get a Rutland gasket. I can tell you that installing it looks daunting.  
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Your egg looks new. A lot of people say do a couple low temp cooks to let the adhesive set. But yea, BGE should send a new one

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Woops, you said it was fairly new.

XLBGE 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Ouch!!!   I luckily haven't had a problem w/ my gasket yet.  I've been cooking bunches fer over 2 years now on the stock gasket.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!