Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

One Big Steak!

AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I stopped into a local market today to find something for dinner. They had some Cowboy steaks for a decent price...$11.99/lb. I picked one up for the wife and I to split. This thing was 2.99 lbs! They were also calling them Tomahawk Steaks. I had to cut the bone down to get it to fit in the Egg though.

I seared it on both sides and, as I was going to be cooking a butt later, I put the plate setter in and let this baby finish up indirect. Stuck a probe in it, and pulled at 125°... let it rest for 10 min. and then sliced into it. I think it turned out very well. Was a nice medium rare. Had a nice salad with greens from the garden to go with it. Plenty of left-overs too.

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    That is one bad ass steak! Looks delish!
    =P~
  • njlnjl Posts: 861
    Looks really nice...but that's a ridiculous amount of rib bone they left it on.
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Yeah...it is a bit crazy.
  • Ale, Question? Im doing some Cowboy steaks tonight and was wondering how you finished off the steak? Did you put any sauce on it or just salt and pepper? I was thinking of using garlic pepper and some onion powder. This is a first for me, I normally cook just the ribeye but I heard the Cowboy steak was way better?
    I'm a minimalist when it comes to steaks. I salt and pepper them right before hitting the grill. And no sauce for me either, thanks. I will sometimes lay a pat of butter on the steaks while they are resting...depends if my wife is watching or not!

I always try to get bone-in ribeye... I prefer them to boneless.

Good luck with the steaks!
  • OK great Ill stick to the basics. Ill let you know how they turn out.
  • looks awsome ! never seen anything quite like that in any markets we have around here
  • ronthorontho Posts: 109
    Don't mean to be a debbie downer but it looks like a bad by to me. if I want to go to bucher to buy a bone I certainly wouldn't pay 12 bucks a pound. But the meat looks good
  • GrillDaddyGrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Nice steaks, would be great to see steak cut in half to see doneness, good learning tool
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Don't mean to be a debbie downer but it looks like a bad by to me. if I want to go to bucher to buy a bone I certainly wouldn't pay 12 bucks a pound. But the meat looks good
    I was thinking the same thing. Basically a way to extract more money from the customer for essentially nothing. I'll pass.
  • I'll pay a little extra for a good spectacle : )

• ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    I'll pay a little extra for a good spectacle : )

It is a site to see.
  • c'mon- it's a $36 steak and he paid maybe $1 or $2 for the extra bone at most. It was well worth it to do it once and post some great pics. hell, if he has a dog it's cheaper than going to the pet store and buying one of their "fresh" bones for $7. I wouldn't do it all the time but it was all in fun.

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,801
    Great idea and I would do it in a second if I found one in my A.O.  Thanks for sharing
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • EggucatedEggucated Posts: 213
    That's a Fred Flinstone Steak if I've ever seen one!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 21,745
    brontosaurus steak!

• EllisEllis Posts: 195
    Thats the true definition of a caveman steak, I have never seen anything like that before.

• Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Cooked two great cowboy steaks tonight and they were outstanding. Worth every penny.
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 270

Looks Great

Anyone know where to buy great meat like this in Orlando?

• ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Looks Great

Anyone know where to buy great meat like this in Orlando?

I know it quite a way away, but in Melbourne, there is Wassi's meats on Wickham Rd.  Very nice people, plus they are a BGE dealer, and have great pricing on the BGE product line! 

As far as the cowboy ribeye goes, the bone adds alot of flavor, and while it is a spectacle, it also serves a purpose.  I know it is not cheap, but the results are worth it

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 270

Thanks

Melbourne is a drive but we get there occationally

• LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    OMG that is in a league all its own!  Looks tasty though!  Great job!
    edited July 2012
    Steaks look great Hopkins!  If you can find a dry aged, bone-in ribeye.....I highly recommend trying one of those.

As for a bad buy, a couple of bucks for the extra bone sure isn't gonna kill me. And, as Cen-Tex pointed out,  my dog got to enjoy it too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from the same place. I've been called foolish for spending $12 on a four pack of beer when I could have bought a 30 pack of something else and had change to spare! Heck....I've spent more than $20 for one single bottle of beer....it's all about what you like.

• ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

sorry for the typos, i had just woke up, and probably should have had a cup of coffee before i typed!  Anyway, you got the jist!

Have a great day everybody!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• twlangantwlangan Posts: 298
    Interesting. Never seen a steak like that before.

I see a business opportunity there. Load your Egg up and take it to fairs and festivals. Cook a bunch of those things up and sell them. Comes with a handle for customers to eat it right off the bone.  ;)

Comes with a handle for customers to eat it right off the bone.  ;)

That's what the butcher said as he was wrapping it up
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,801
    @AleBrewer, that's a nice looking knife?  in the background as well. Do you think you could post a better pic of it?  I'd like to see it
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
    That's no knife....it's a custom made grid lifter. It was made for me by a member on "the other" forum.

When I get back to my room later, I'll see if I can find a better picture.
  • Is that a brontosaurus steak from the Flintstones???
  • Looks like a "Fred Flinstones" steak. Nice..!!! Going to try this weekend.