Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woking on Small?

MikeG
MikeG Posts: 174
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've got "Breath of a Wok" on order from Amazon  and I've got a Small Egg.

I could use some suggestions for which size wok to order and how I'll support it in the Egg.  I have a Woo for my small but it has the crossbars for the pizza stone.

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I use the 12" carbon steel round bottom with steel handles from the Wok Shop on my Small Woo: http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/wok2steelhan.html

It sits on those cross bars.
    http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/R2Egg2Q/BBQAccessories/IMG_0201.jpg
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MikeG

Thanks

From a cooking standpoint, is a wok better with a round or flat bottom?  

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    This would probably be a better answer than I can provide: http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/woktype.html
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Based on what I've read, the classic wok is round bottomed, and has been for........ever!
    The flat bottom versions came out to be used on modern stoves.

Just think about which has been used longer, and if you have ever seen a flat bottom used in a resteraunt setting.

However if you have an electric stove and want to use it inside, you might not have a choice.
    I'm working on convincing the wife we need an indoor and outdoor one.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Why not get a flat bottom and you can use it both indoors and out.  might need a wok ring but no big deal!
  • MikeG

We have a gas stove but I don't think our largest burner has the BTU's I'd like for proper wokking.   I think I'll go with the round.  I just might modify the cross bars so that they'll support a pizza stone but better cradle a round wok

Thanks

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I wok on my Small with a 12" round-bottom wok, works great.  If you get your wok from The Wok Shop, spend $3 more and get this:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• MikeG

Tried on the Small tonight and found I couldn't achieve the same heat under the wok as I can on the Weber Performer with the Gourmet System grate, which has a hole in the middle of about 12". 

On the performer I can load up the charcoal baskets and drop the 14" wok right into the hole in direct contact with the column of briquettes in the baskets. 

Woking on the Weber also helps to use up my surplus of briquettes and spares my lump for more noble tasks. 

On the Small BGE the wok is 12" from the lump - just too far away to sear and get the Wok Hei which I aspire to.