Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Mini vs small

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,700
edited June 2012 in Forum List
So currently we have a lg bge and we're looking at adding another. As of right now its just me and the wifey poo.. So were looking at a smaller bge to accompany the lg. I want to be able to cook some sides on it and have it be big enough for steaks and mini pizzas. Also i want to use it for camping.. So light weight
·

Comments

• Medium :)

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,700
    Pshhhh lol
    ·
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    I cook on my mini for a family of 6. It is very light and portable. I have the mini woo, and pizza stones. No experience with the small. Bought the mini to take wherever I wanted. It's a rare day I don't use it. I used it today. Many days I use it more than once. I love it. Just bought some fire wire skewers should get delivered this week.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,455
    I sent a Mini to Afghanistan and they cooked21 steaks the first night. I have two minis and still have not used the second one ( get a mini).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    Mini.  It is easy to transport, easy to put in the car, doesn't take up much space, but its best feature it it heats up quickly and cools down pretty fast.  If you are going to use it for picnicking, I would recommend a carrier for the mini.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    I'm going to go against the grain, and say to get the small (I have both). I like having the extra distance between the fire and my food, and when using the Woo, I'm able to slip a pie plate on the bottom layer, to use as a drip pan.
    BJ
    (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
    I think a mini is the way to go... Anybody know where to buy them in colorado?
    ·
    Also what did you pay for your mini?
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,276
    I have both and would get rid of my mini first. We camp alot and if its more than my fiance and I I bring the small. The small is light enough that you can pick it up and move it pretty easy especially if you take th efire box and fire ring out Brought the mini tailgating to Saturdays Braves game and couldn't get food out fast enough but the small would have handled it. The mini is awesome but it can limit you also. The mini will cost you in the $350 -$400 range.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,661
    @mountaindewbass. I am in the same scenario  as you. We want a second egg for a companion for our large at home and we have been looking at either mini or small. Want the new egg to be portable for Rving and tailgating as well. We physically saw the two side by side. The mini is tiny. In my mind, for what we are thinking about cooking may it may to small, also I am not sure that you can cook indirect. Or for how long due to a smaller firebox. I know that there are plenty of people using the mini and have watched the video on utube of what they all can do, but still can't solidify the mini in our minds. I love the size of it for carrying around. Just don't know if the grill space would be enough for us. The small grill surface could handle more food. I think they both would be very portable, Mini would need to be tucked away when we camp, it would be very easy for someone to pick up and walk away with. The small would take a little more determination to steal. Not saying that would happen, but you never know these days. I hear what Lit is saying, and for our needs, the small maybe a better choice in the long run. Now just need to justify the $$. Any Phycologist's out there want to counsel me. :D
    ·
    ..Im a Psychologist but i dont think the Blind leading the Blind would be beneficial :P

Im so torn on what to do.  Money isnt the factor between the mini or small.  Were leaving for a roadtrip to VA over 4th of July and i want something that can fit in our Subaru Outback.  Also im wanting to be able to cook on it outside of a hotel when we make our stops. SO ill need something that can cool down quickly.  IM still leaning towards the mini.  But i do need to check out the size
    ·
    Hey cool idea, grilling outside the hotel, never thought of that. What a great way to meet people, better have a little extra food for samplers, you will need it. I hear what you are saying about taking it with you. Do you think you would be happy with the grill size when you use it at home. I know you haven't actually seen it, but what have you been thinking?
    ·
    Well thats the real dilemma.  In order for me to justify the mini it has to be used at home.  That means it would have to be good for cooking 2 small steaks and at other times cook 2 chicken breasts or leg quarters.  Thats all it would be used for.  I would also probably use it for sides, like baked potatoes or grilled veggies.  
    ·
  • lakebndegglakebndegg Posts: 28
    I have both and can say I've cooked 3 huge Fillets at one time on the mini as well as half of a pork loin. The mini is great for two people as well as the small with the exception you can do more with the small.
    Buy both I did! That will solve all
    ·
  • I have both and would get the mini for the uses you describe. I don't use the mini as much as I would like but that is because I am cooking for at least five every day. Haven't used the small in years.
    ·
    How is the temp control for the mini? I Have an LG and i typically use a temp controller for 40 minutes or longer cooks...would i need one for the MIni? or does it hold better.

And is there an indirect way for cooking with the mini?
    ·
    @LS. I know you have many years of eggperience. Can you rig up the mini to do a low and slow, if so, how many hours could you grill. Firebox seems so small. Secondly, I don't think the mini can be fitted with a plater setter?? So how does one grill indirect, or don't you do that on the mini?
    ·
    and can i get an ETA on how long it takes for the mini to cool down? If i use it at a hotel i think i would cook all the meat up then just leave the meat in the egg and bring the mini inside the bathroom to cool down.  Then take the food off...because its so small it would be easy for someone to steal..so i would want to have my eyes on it at all time.
    ·
  • You can cook indirect. Tom makes a flip ring that takes a small pizza stone (pampered chef maybe). Stone down is indirect stone up for pizza and baking. Never really tried low and slow but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Mini likes to get hot fast.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,741
    I am not sure if you're into sports, but I personally would consider a small for tailgating. It seems a small is bigger than a mini, and it is still small enough to carry to games.
    ·
    @ LS who is Tom??
    ·
  • Sorry TJV. Ceramic Grillstore
    ·
  • @LS. I know you have many years of eggperience. Can you rig up the mini to do a low and slow, if so, how many hours could you grill. Firebox seems so small. Secondly, I don't think the mini can be fitted with a plater setter?? So how does one grill indirect, or don't you do that on the mini?

SS,

I've seen where people have done long cooks on the mini but couldn't say how long. The firebox is small but so is the interior. You aren't gonna get a whole packer brisket in there so everything is sort of proportional. I've done spatchcock chickens, turkey breasts, baked potatoes, small roasts etc but nothing much longer. Never used a whole load of lump in one cook either. Mini is the most "fun" to cook with of any of them IMHO

·
    Mini.  It is easy to transport, easy to put in the car, doesn't take up much space, but its best feature it it heats up quickly and cools down pretty fast.  If you are going to use it for picnicking, I would recommend a carrier for the mini.

Where can u get a carrier? Also link to mini woo:-) on my way to purchase one
    ·
    Search mini posts on the forum. Some use a ice chest that fits perfectly with wheels. Others like the egg carten email in this thread.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1185667/#Comment_1185667

Where can u get a carrier? Also link to mini woo:-) on my way to purchase one

·
    Thanks LS
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,112
    Paid $391 2 weeks ago for the mini. I loaded up 2 lbs of tri tip and kabobs in one cook which is plenty of food. I will have to say though I've monitored the cool down and its not super fast. It took some time to get down from 400 degrees I'd say 30 min easily. When I did pizzas @ 600 it took over an hour to cool down to manageable temp. I had lump left do don't think it was a draft issue. I think a carrier like the carten will be handy so u can put a semi warm mini away in a stainless carrier.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
    What size cooler do i need? Anybody got the dimensions. I ordered mine and it will be available for pick up in about 3-4 hours
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited June 2012
    They used the Igloo 60qt ice-cube, which can be found at Wal-mart. It runs about 35 bucks.

If you want to cool it down quickly, instead of shutting it down, via the vents, scoop out the hot coals into a galvanized pail, and fill it (the pail) with water. Then leave the mini open, so the ceramics can cool off.
    BJ
    (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
    What size cooler do i need? Anybody got the dimensions. I ordered mine and it will be available for pick up in about 3-4 hours

I think Mickey would know for sure. There are photos in a mini thread somewhere in the forum.
    I think it's the 60quart igloo cube like this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-60-Quart-Ice-Cube-Roller/16606385
    ·