Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Igrill?

Options
Jrod72
Jrod72 Posts: 67
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone happy with their igrill? I'm really debating on whether to get the igrill or the maverick et-732. I like the different functions on the igrill but here it can loose its Bluetooth connection. Anyone have any ideas on this subject?

Comments

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    Purchased the IGrill two months ago after lending Maverick to a freind. Bluetooth setup is quite finicky but once setup seemed to hol connection (4 or 5 times I used it so far). The biggest drawback is the I device is lost to the use of a thermo - also not completely trust that it will wake me on those long/slows. There ar some cool features and one can picture even more functionality in th future. Use mine exclusivity on long/slows with meat/ambient temp probes.
  • jbajor
    jbajor Posts: 17
    Options
    I love mine!!!!  It's great having a full history of the long slows over night.  I also like being able to set a high and low alarm for the ambient probe.  It is also really easy to visually extrapolate from the graph when final meat temp will occur to get an idea of completion time.  The latest version of the app seems to have fixed a lot of the bugs.  
    Fight On!
  • PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    Options

I agree with Newville.  The Bluetooth is a problem in that although the IPad says connected, no data is being displayed.  Multiple attempts to turn on/off IPad, Bluetooth, etc. will establish good data transfer, and then everything works fine.  I don't like the dim display in bright weather on the local unit.  It's very hard to read.  Mine was a gift, but if I was looking for something similar, I'm not sure I'd go with IGrill. 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I read a lot of reviews on both.  The bluetooth lack of distance issue sealed it for me.  I went with the Maverick 732.  I can use it WAY across the house (100+ feet) - plus it is dual probe (I don't think the igrill is).
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Igrill seems good and good price point. It has two probes. The distance issue is a definite deciding factor. Maverick seems to have quality control issues. Glad you got a good one.. I know I need a probe set not sure what to purchase yet. I think eventually I will get a digi Q II or wait for a working wifi version. Maybe their next version of wifi guru.
  • Q27
    Q27 Posts: 5
    Options
    I first tried the Maverick ET-73. The distance limitation on the wi-fi made this one pretty useless. I was reluctant to go to the ET-732 although the external antenna may help. I have several other devices in the house using 2.4 GHz so I thought that interference was the problem with the low power Maverick. I went with the iGrill... (It came with 2 meat probes so I purchased an ambient temp probe off their website) so far so good but I have not done an overnight cook yet. Blue tooth does have distance limitations but works ok for my needs. The apps seems to work fine.. makes it easy to set up ranges.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I bought one a month or two ago and have used it on low and slow as well as direct grilling.  I only have a single probe which I use to check internal temperature and am happy with the results.  The app is fine, like Newville said, a little touchy with the blue tooth connection, but once connected it holds real well, even switching to other apps.

I guess overall I a happy with the set up, better than I thought it was going to be and looking forwards to new functionality coming from the Devs.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks for all of your feedback guys! Probably going to lean toward the maverick.