Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt

Sparty
Sparty Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Pork
Thinking about doing my first butt this weekend for pulled pork. I'm a bit nervous about it as I don't want to waste a big hunk of meat. From a heat standpoint, is it good to light the lump on one end of the firebox so the flame eventually works across the egg? I want to keep it as simple as possible. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Sparty - you almost can't mess this up!  Light the lump in the middle of the egg, stablize it to 250 (indirect), let it go for around 2 hours per pound, pull it off the egg at 190 degrees internal, wrap it in foil and a then a towel and put it in cooler for about 2 hours (maybe 3) to let it rest.  Take it out and tear it up and eat!

I've injected mine with a mixture of 1/2 pineapple juice and 1/2 maple syrup.  Then covered in yellow mustard and put Bad Byron's Butt Rub on it and put it in fridge covered in saran wrap over night.   

You can add drip pan with apple juice if you want to (not necessary though) and even spray it with apple juice if you'd like to (again, not necessary).

Enjoy it!

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I do mine exactly the same way but I cook it to 200 internal and skip the wrap, towel, cooler routine. Just let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes and you are good to go. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Absolutely nothing easier than a pork butt.
    1.) Slather in mustard (optional)
    2.) Heavy on your favorite rub.
    3.) Indirect between 250-350 grid temp (how quick do you need it done?)
    4.) Pull @ 190-195 or so and rest under foil for 30 minutes (if you're in a hurry) or up to 3-4 hours in a cooler (if you need to delay).
    5.) Pull and eat!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Sparty
    Thanks guys. What an amazing forum with so much collective experience. Happy Father's Day weekend to all.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    4.) Pull @ 190-195 or so and rest under foil for 30 minutes (if you're in a hurry) or up to 3-4 hours in a cooler (if you need to delay).
    5.) Pull and eat!

Yup
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    5.) Pull and eat!
    X2   ;D
  • noid1037
    noid1037 Posts: 33

Another thing to add is just be patient during the cook, no need to open the lid and keep looking.  As the other guys said, its about 1.5/2 hrs per lb for the cook at 250 degrees and when it gets close get a good stick digital thermometer or a maverick remote temp sensor.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i:aps,k:digital meat thermometer&page=1

You can "peek" with a flashlight if you remove the daisy wheel but dont really need to... in addition I get a bone in boston pork butt... thats usually what is on the label from the grocery store... I like a 4-5 lb piece and with a good rub applied.  Dont need to let it sit or anything like that.  I use apple wood sometimes I will soak it in a cheap red wine, this give a good smell and good flavor to the smoke.  With the bone in it helps with the cooktime I have seen.  Dont stress it a great piece of meat and really easy to cook.  Make sure to put enough lump, fill it past the holes on the bottom ring.  Put in large pieces of lump so you dont clog up the bottom holes to block the air.  As said earlier fire up in one location, get a good fire going and get the temp settled in for a low and slow cook.

Post some pics when you done and good luck!

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• Sparty
    edited June 2012
    So, I picked up a five pound Boston butt and it's on the egg. I'm only 3 hours in and the meat temp is already at 171. Is this a problem? The temp probe is in the center of the thickest part of the butt, away from the bone. Dome temp is 260.
  • Sparty
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Chill out buddy! You should be hittin the plateau anytime about now, sit back and enjoy a cold one!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

This was my first attemp. I did two five pound butts. one with brine the other no brine. I used same rub on both. I did not let them get to 190.  I wish I would have but they both taste great. I do think the brine butt was more moist.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Booshway
    Booshway Posts: 10
    Well guys, I am a newbie and into my first pork butt using your directions above.  So far, so good.  Got the BGE up to 250 about 7:00 AM and it stabalized.  Got her rubbed with mustard and my own brown sugar/garlic powder rub.  Here we are at 2:00 PM and the internal is 161, so I think everything is going well. Dome temp is still 250 - 260.  Hoping to eat around 6:00.  First low & slow...a little nervous but excited.  Thanks for all your information.  Hopefully down the road I can share my experiences for some newbie.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182

@Booshway-depending on where you are in the stall you may be pushing it to be pulling around 6 PM.  And don't be surprised if you see another mini-stall somewhere in the 180's to around 190*F.  Don't know the weight of your pork butt-but I generally see around 2hrs/# at your dome temp.  You can dial it up to 300-320*F to help punch it home if time becomes a factor.  Here's a great web site for pulled pork: (the main site is great for BBQ info). Enjoy the journey-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Mustard is optional. I never use it. Just rub right on the meat. I haven't had any problem with the rub sticking and always get a good bark.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I stopped using mustard and just add the rub.  You can always add more rub after a few hours and the bark starts developing if you want a spicier bark.
    lousubcap,  thanks for responding.  Dialed it up to about 280 and now I am at 181 internal.  Just got a remote temp for Oregon Scientific and it is making things pretty easy.  After I got the egg, the first thing I did was calibrate the dome temp gage.  It was about 60 low.  Enjoying another White Russian while we wait!  I am retired Navy, so I have lots of time.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    @Booshway-retired USN here as well-along with another gig after that adventure.  Lots of folks more than willing to help here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Booshway
    Booshway Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    lousubcap, that handle come from the sub community?  I was a MA.  Pork Butt turned out delicious!!  Had some friends over and served it up with fried cabbage and baked sweet potatoes.  Everyone enjoyed it!!  Did a flat brisket today. Will post results on beef side of forum.