Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork on my BGE L

Options
Mowgli
Mowgli Posts: 34
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello guys

My son's 18 years birthday is just around the corner, and I need some advise.

I want to cook four butt's on my large, but I can only fit two on the primary grid, so I need some kind of grill extender, so I can put two on top of the others.
What to buy ?

For how long do you add smoke, and what is your preferred wood.
Do you use chips or chunks or both....

What's your favorite sauce.

Any side dish ??

All suggestions are welcome.....

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Check here for all sorts of great information regarding BBQ and BGE:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    Edina, MN

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

www.ceramicgrillstore.com and www.ceramicgrillworks both sell multi-tier systems.  I personally have the 2-tier swing grate from Ceramic Grilllworks, but a lot of folks like the versatility of the adjustable rig.  The swing grate meets my needs and the cast iron will last forever.

On butts...I go with apple smoke wood (or any fruit wood) in chunk form...you can use chips (both provide smoke).

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You can do a quick and inexpensive raised grid using a few fire bricks (best choice) or empty (key parameter) beer cans and a smaller weber grid.  Two on the main and two on the raised grid. As you get deep into the cook, monitor the temps of all four butts. No two are the same and could finish at significantly different times. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.