Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ozark Oak Users-does it impart much flavor or is it pretty benign?

lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,862
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a load of Ozark Oak from the boutique lump supplier (my Father's Day gift to me).  Have lots of run-time with generic Royal Oak so have a handle on the flavor it imparts-does Ozark Oak behave about the same or give a more smokey flavor?  Appreciate any insights-and yes I read TNW's review.
Louisville   L & S BGEs 

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    From my experience it has a little bit stronger flavor, but not much. It's seems to me to be a different flavor as opposed to more or less smokey. I really like Ozark Oak, I was very sad the last time I went to get some and my supplier was sold out. Let us know what you think of it please.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,862
    Thanks Brownie and I will be sure to pass on my assessment.  First go is Father's Day (a theme here?) with a slow roasted prime (okay actually choice...) rib- with some Jack Daniels chips along for the ride. 
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Will want to hear before.  Have been wanting to try some.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,358
    I got a couple of bags several years ago. It did have a definite oak flavour, which is perfect for beef. Too expensive here to get regularly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigTex33BigTex33 Posts: 40
    I got a couple of bags several years ago. It did have a definite oak flavour, which is perfect for beef. Too expensive here to get regularly.
    I love Ozark Oak.  Mine is about $8 per 10 lb. bag here in Dallas.