Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid seared shut

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to use my Green Egg last night and apparently the lid is seared shut. It will not open at all. I was cooking at a fairly hot temperature the night before ~800 degrees, but certainly no hotter than I have in the past. It has been fairly humid here, but I don’t know if that played a role in it. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,

Scott[p]

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Scott,[p]This is gonna sound barbaric, but I had the exact thing happen a month or two ago. [p]I simply used a crappy butter knife and would place it's tip in the center of the gap between lid and bottom, and give it a sharp whap on the other end, move the knife and repeat. Once you get thru in a couple of spots, it'll let go and you'll be fine.[p]Oh, your gasket's fried by the way. But mine still lets me do 225 degree lo and slows with no trouble, so try it out first before you got to the trouble of replacing old felty.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Scott,[p]You might put a weber starter cube in the bottom door to get a fire going again to warm things up before you try to pry it open.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]The trouble is, I don't think this is a frozen shut issue, and almost no amount of fire in the bottom's gonna re-melt and release a fried and stuck gasket. [p]Just my two cents. Others clearly are more experienced eggers. I just seem to be experienced at frying gaskets.[p]LOL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    Scott,
    ive sliced them apart with a small thin paring knife, work slow and try to cut between the gaskets

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Scott,
    I have experience in this area - put a starter cube in the bottom vent and get the egg hot again. If the felt doesn't give way by iteslf, give the handle a few pops with the butt of the palm of your hand, if that doesn't work you will need to pry it open. It should work after a few pops with your hand. The last time I did this was after some great steaks - last may and one year later I can still hold a low temp for low & slows. I have a spare gasket in my garage waiting for this one to fail. Joe