Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Seared Steak

pirates21pirates21 Posts: 71
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
My first time using the T-rex method. Egg got up to 750 plus. Did an open dome sear for 90 sec each side. A little overcharred. Are most people doing 60 seconds each side? They were delicious, but a little to charred tasting.
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• cssmd27cssmd27 Posts: 268
    Very little experience here, but with my limited efforts, I've found you don't need a dome temp nearly that high. 450-500 at the dome = a VERY hot fire right down on the coals.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • TripleDTripleD Posts: 14
    If you don't like char, try searing in a cast Iron skillet. Put the skillet on the BGE and bring to 700 as usual. Sear 90 sec per side. Remove skillet  and bring egg to 400 and cook to temp. Sorry, no grill marks!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    the Trex method, like others, breaks the cook into two parts.  the first, the searing, is to your liking.  there's no time specifically req'd other than what YOU like.  you aren't so much cooking the steak at this point as giving it the sear you like.  then you remove it, drop temps, and put it back on to essentially roast.  yeah, the extra time direct (2nd part of the cook) will also involve searing, just not a lava temps.  try under searing the first step, and the second part will finish the sear as you finsih also roasting it to final temp.

i hot-tub now, because then my entire cook is merely the sear
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante