Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Grilling Salmon

gfavorgfavor Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in Seafood
I plan to grill salmon tonight, no skin, no plank; just want to do it simple.  If I do a direct cook on my BGE (it's been a blast !!!) what temp should I use and how long on each side? We like it moist, no dry stuff.  Your thoughts ....

Comments

• crallecralle Posts: 3
    I'm new here.  But, I followed Austin_Smoker's directions (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140018) and the family was really happy with the way the salmon turned out yesterday.  I bought the Copper River Sockeye on sale with the skin on.  It is full of fat, so I wouldn't try to cook it direct on the grill due to the potential flare ups.  I guess a drip pan indirect may work though and cook it at around 400 that way.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,853
    I generally hot smoke mine indirect but if I was going direct I would go with a raised grid if you have that option.  Somewhere around 350*F and I would cook to 140*F at the thickest part of the fillet.  140*F will be nice and moist-I would give it no more than 2-3 minutes /side for starters.  Hopefully someone who does more grilling of the salmon will be along.   
    Louisville
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,261

I tend to direct cook on a raised grid.   Brush with EEVO - season with Paprika, Salt, Pepper, touch of dill weed and butter flavored pop corn salt.

Fairly hot - 400 or so, SkinLESS side down first.   After 4 or 5 minutes you will have some nice grill marks, then flip over, skin side down and cook till finished.   Usually another 5 or 7 minutes.  

If you like smoky flavor, throw a chunk or two in before the salmon goes on.   Easy, Fast -- and predictable.

Cookin in Texas
  • gfavorgfavor Posts: 56
    So if I do indirect with the plate-setter, what temp and about how long?

Raised grid seems to take the flare up's out of the equation long as your cooking lid down.   I use paver stones to raise my grid up to felt level.

Cookin in Texas
  • BRush00BRush00 Posts: 187
    Flareups?

On the egg? 

You do remember that when the dome's closed - there are no flareups? 

I just grilled salmon the other day.

Stock level grid, around 400 degrees, nothing but salt and pepper on the fish.  cooked maybe 4-5 minutes/side until fish flakes away when you put a fork to it.

One of the simplest cooks out there, but if you overcook the salmon, it can be painfully dry.
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    I did salmon last night. Marinated the skinless filets in a Teriyaki sauce for about an hour. I went direct, raised grid at ~350. Threw in some Alder wood chips for nice subtle hint of smoke. Cooked to 150 degrees in the thickest part of the filet, around 7 minutes per side. Came out perfect!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    forgot pics on earlier post .... imageimage
    Salmon on the grill.JPG
    640 x 478 - 140K
    plated.JPG
    640 x 478 - 134K
    Cookin in Texas
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 501
    Direct, 350-375. Alder wood is perfect.  Use DP Raging River or your favorite salmon rub.  Brush on a little maple syrup. Don't overcook.
  • rickHPrickHP Posts: 49
    edited June 2012
    Copper River (or any wild salmon) has a lot less fat than farm raised. I did some last weekend, skin on, direct at about 375 over alder chips. 6 minutes skin up and then 6 minutes skin down, per some posts on the site. I found the salmon did stick a bit on the grill on the skin up part. Maybe I should have used a raised grill. I did a brown sugar & bourbon glaze that need a bit of a savory note in it. Still the salmon turned out delicious.
    I coat the non skin side with EEVO - keeps it from sticking.  If you don't want to use EEVO - then "carefully" spray your cooking grid with a cooking spray.   Carefully since it can be flammable.   best trick, grab your grill with the gril picker-upper - hold it over to the side, coat the grill then put it back on.
    Cookin in Texas
  • rickHPrickHP Posts: 49
    I coat the non skin side with EEVO - keeps it from sticking.  If you don't want to use EEVO - then "carefully" spray your cooking grid with a cooking spray.   Carefully since it can be flammable.   best trick, grab your grill with the gril picker-upper - hold it over to the side, coat the grill then put it back on.
    Tried the EVOO, wasn't 100% successful.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    it will stick when it isn't ready to flip.  i have given this advice a lot, and last night cooked some striper (fresh!) and didn't listen to my own advice.  it stuck, i flippd, it tore.

i actualyl find a too-clean grid increases chances of sticking.  best thing for me is a black grid. no chunks, but not totally clean
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante