Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone got any suggestions for Sole?

Options
Canadian Egg
Canadian Egg Posts: 19
edited June 2012 in Seafood
Haven't cooked much fish on the egg. Should I do it in a wok?

Comments

• rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Options
    James brown whats my first thought. Sorry just being a smart ass
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    Did you end up cooking sole in the egg?
    Sole is such mild, delicate fish, I wouldn't cook it in an egg - pan fried with a hint of lemon and thyme, or oven baked with tomatoes, oregano or basil, spring onions, balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt and
    pepper and the zest and juice of 1 lemon to it.. I think the smoke of charcoal or anything else added would overpower the fish..
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm finding the beauty of cooking on the egg is the ability to have as much or as little smokiness as required to emphasise the original flavour of the food, recently I cooked trout both with and without smoke (same side of trout) and definitely the smoked version lost something. As long as you start cooking delicate flavours with a well established fire there should be only a hint of smoke and if you don't like that, well.......
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    mm.. there's a huge difference between trout and sole though. Trout, salmon, and other fishes high in fatty acid compositions can tolerate from stronger, bolder flavors..
    I just don't think mild fishes would benefit from even the slightest hint of smoke; particularly sole, which is such high-priced fish, you're really paying for the flavor and complexity of the fish, and not the smoke that it's been cooked in.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    Agreed sorta, my point was you shouldn't be destroying delicate flavours from cooking on the egg, more giving it a twist if that makes more sense. If your getting too much smokiness coming through on dishes you don't want any, I would suggest that the fire you're cooking on isn't well established enough or you may have residual gunk that's burning off ?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If they are whole, scale them and stuff with crabmeat. "bake" at 350-400. If you google "stuffed flounder", I'm sure some good recipes will come up as well as a walk through of how to filet in order to stuff.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options

"Broiled" (high in the dome, indirect) with panch poron (Indian spice mix, google how to make it) until done, not too long.  Or cooked in a pan like traditional Italian.

• Little Steven
    Options
    If they are fillets you probably want to roll them around some kind of stuffing. Bread crumbs, cheese and crab or shrimp. They are very thin typically and real hard to keep together.