Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mangrates

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    This thread is ridiculous! From the name of the product, to the price, to their salesman's pitch. I think the moderator should close this thread.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • What a freakin' joke. This is really amusing.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The grease trap things remind me of the "flavor bars" that cover the gas burners on weber gas grill.  vaporizing the grease smells good when cooking; probably makes you think it is better tasting when you go to eat it.  I use cast iron grate on my spider for searing, but it is primarily cosmetic. The grill marks look great.  I don't see this imparting better flavor as I'm hoping the metal on my grate stays there as opposed to joining my steak..

Blind side by side test at an Egg fest or even someone with two larges would be a good test. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

I heard Chuck Norris uses Mangrates.

I heard he has used them to win every cooking award and door prize ever given out at every Eggfest...nationwide.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    alynd said:
    Boomer said:
    alynd said:
    I've used Mangrates for a couple years now, since my pre-egg days.  I don't have a cast iron grid so I use them when making steaks.  They do leave better sear marks and protect from flare ups as others have said.  I like them, but they are probably a little over priced for what you get out of them.
    Over priced? i dont think so, it makes a HUGE difference to me without a doubt, About them being over priced, they have us/EGGERS taken care of with our own promo code of EGG.
    Happy grilling...
    You can claim you don't work for mangrate all you want, but I don't believe you for a second.
    Im not asking you to, pick up your phone and exercise your fingers and ask Justin @ mangrates if i do. he's not going to lie. Im in CA. and they're in VA. LOL!
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    I have sent Justin a message and he will get us up and running shortly, as i before mentioned that he was setting us up, NOT that it is set up yet. I will let you guys know when its a go.

It seems that us eggers will be getting a 30% discount and a cheaper shipping if im not mistaken, with orders up to 7 grates and 1 brush max per order.

I am already asking Justin to get these at some events, Who is in charge of the Salado event so i can work some magic, have them inbox me.

Also, Mangrate is working to make something for the LG. 18 Inch, maybe a 1/2 moon would be the ticket. 

I'm serious, this is not snake oil ladies and gentlemen, your going to thank me later :)
    Will keep my fellow eggers updated as things begin to happen.
    Cheers.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I feel like I should go out and buy some oxy-clean or a Ronco dehydrator. Where's Billy Mays.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    If we call in the next 10 minutes, we get "not one, but two" Mangrates.  That's right, folks.  The second one is absolutely free (plus shipping and handling and commission for Boomer) But please, we are limiting this special offer to 5 per customer.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    The first 5 customers who use EGG in the Promo Code will also receive a copy of Slim Whitman's Greatest Hits
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Please, make it stop.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    Sounds like my ex wife...MAN she could GRATE my nerves.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    I feel like I should go out and buy some oxy-clean or a Ronco dehydrator. Where's Billy Mays.
    BUT WAIT! There's more!
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    All you have to do is set it and then forget it. One popeil pocket fisherman with each order of 4 or more.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    edited January 2013
    IF YOU CALL IN THE NEXT 10 MINUTES, WE'LL THROW IN THE NEXT ONE FREE!!!!!!!!!!
  • Be nice grasshoppers !

Opelika, Alabama
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Folks, them times when ya got a rectangular cow, you don't wanna cook that on a round grate...no-sir-ee.  Ya need a rectangular grate.  Square cow, you say?  Just put three rectangular mangrates together and, BAM!, there ya go.  Marie come home one day with round cow....what do ya do?  Just pull dem mangrates up, and use the round grate that comes with the egg!  Whooooooweeeee!
    As seen on TV

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Boomer - There are many respected folks on this forum, and I do not mean any offence to anyone I do not include here, but I think I have a cost effective business solution for you and your pal Justin. (Although I secretly want this "interesting" thread to continue)
    Contact these folks via PM to get their ship to address and ship four demonstration sets of this product to (listed in alphabetical order):
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker - well respected and experienced voice on this forum
    @Nolaegghead - always, well interesting, the "science guy"
    @Little_Steven - Tons of experience and provides the "international" perspective
    @Mickey - Salado guy (you want to demo here anyway) lots of experience on different size eggs

If this product is as good as you claim, the endorsement of this "crew" will guarantee you business success. Rather than provide discounts to all eggheads, simply get the support of some of the most respected and sell to the rest of us at your regular retail, full of value price. Basic business 101. 

Good Luck!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Yes, that is probably what it will take at this point: endorsement from some of the forum pros.  Either that or Billy Mays rising from the dead...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Boomer said:
    I have sent Justin a message and he will get us up and running shortly, as i before mentioned that he was setting us up, NOT that it is set up yet. I will let you guys know when its a go.

It seems that us eggers will be getting a 30% discount and a cheaper shipping if im not mistaken, with orders up to 7 grates and 1 brush max per order.

I am already asking Justin to get these at some events, Who is in charge of the Salado event so i can work some magic, have them inbox me.

Also, Mangrate is working to make something for the LG. 18 Inch, maybe a 1/2 moon would be the ticket. 

I'm serious, this is not snake oil ladies and gentlemen, your going to thank me later :)
    Will keep my fellow eggers updated as things begin to happen.
    Cheers.
    So we get the same discount as any of the watchers/listeners of the Mike O'Meara Show or Adam Corolla's podcast???  Wow!!  That is an impressive deal for us eggers. 

Boomer could you possibly talk to your main friend and totally not business partner Justin and see if he can throw in a case of Mangria with each purchase* (for limited time only) to give us eggers something to occupy ourselves while the mangrates do all the work making our food outstanding?

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    There is nothing more manly than a wine spritzer!  

Boomer could you possibly talk to your main friend and totally not business partner Justin and see if he can throw in a case of Mangria with each purchase* (for limited time only) to give us eggers something to occupy ourselves while the mangrates do all the work making our food outstanding?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    And if they are a load of bolony this thread will turn really interesting once those 4 get going ;-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • Please Daddy! Make it stop! Make it stop!
  • My feelings are hurt after so many disparaging remarks about some of my childhood heroes.  Ron Popeil (RonCo) is one of the greatest American success stories of all time.  I still remember the disapointment on my mothers face when she opened her present from me one Christmas.  It was a RonCo Veg-o-Matic!  I never had a "Popeil's Pocket Fisherman.  It was much later in life when I studied all the greats of American marketing when I found out just what a genius this man is.  If anyone is interested in this Iconic American hero please check out this brief Biography:

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventors/popeil.htm
    :):)
  • I find that the best way to clean Mangrates is with a Shamwow.

• Eggcelsior
    I hear that the Mangrate is heavy. We should start training with these...

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013

@Eggcelsior,

If you're into South Park, Shake Weight, Food Network, and Creme Fraiche, you gotta watch this one from 2010.  We still joke around about this episode, an all-time favorite.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s14e14-creme-fraiche

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Absolutely! That is the first thing I thought of, but I thought the actual commercial might have more impact.

"Scott Tenorman must die" is another favorite, as well as "Cripple Fight"

"If your really looking for a work out, you might want to try the Big Jim"

"Uh, I think I'll start with the smaller white ones"
  • RustyPotts - you are exactly correct about Ron Popeil! I used to teach Strategic Marketing at the University level. I started out every semester asking what my students thought about Popeiland Ronco. Everyone laughed! By the end of the first lecture, everyone knew they had a hero to emulate and admire! The guy is one of Capitalism's heroes! We should all do so well! Good call, Rusty!
  • henapple
    @Skiddymarker...great idea.

CT can tell us if the mangrate works
    Nola can tell us why
    LS can teach us hosers to use it, eh
    Mickey will have a self draining beer coaster in Salado.

Oh, putting a picture of necessary on the packaging wouldn't hurt.