Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mangrates

Comments

• Before the mangrates comments, you hadn't posted on here since August 2010 and then come hard to the hoop shilling for some product no one here has ever heard of? And you're surprised we think you are just spamming us?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Well, You all can think what you'd like, I am not surprised at all, If anyone would like to ASSume anything, its on them... 

"No one" has ever heard of Mangrates? oh, I am the 1st on this forum to ever mention, i guess :)

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Mangrates, geez the name is even incorrect. Grates hold up the charcoal, grids are what you cook on, should have been named Mangrids....
    Obviously named by someone who knew little about grilling. 

The CI grid will hold the heat to provide nice grid marks on food. Some prefer a total surface browning and not a surface browning with charred (burned) mark patterns. To each his own. 

I like the look of a CI grid diamond so I use my CI grid to reverse sear. Others use the caveman or Trex technique, not better, just different.

I recall an aluminum (I think) version of this for use with gassers, Super-grid?
    Well, since they are used IN the egg maybe they should be name "Ingrates".
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • How about a coupon code for us "eggers" to try these at a discount online? The videos on the website are hilarious " like cooking your steak with a hair dryer" :)

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited January 2013
    The mangrate commercial is okay but not as good as dollar shave club. http://www.dollarshaveclub.com

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    If they're that good, they should sponsor some eggfests and show everybody first hand.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don't see how a piece of metal could improve the taste of a cut of meat. Might give better sear marks, but I'll save my money for lump and meat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Boomer said:

On a side note if im not mistaken, i have read an older ad that, if you werent completely satisfied in 30 days, you could return them. Thats how confident the company is about their product.

Par for the course for just about every crap product sold on cable.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The mangrate commercial is okay but not as good as dollar shave club. http://www.dollarshaveclub.com
    Now that is a funny ad.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    bodski said:

If they're that good, they should sponsor some eggfests and show everybody first hanId.

That's a great idea.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Boomer
    bodski said:
    If they're that good, they should sponsor some eggfests and show everybody first hand.
    At the SoCaleggfest this year in Upland CA. I will be grilling on the Mangrates and I will get Justin involved with the event as well. I will be talking to him soon and get a coupon code for us Eggers.
    I can't wait for you guys to get these on your grills and Taste and See what you've been missing.
    Updates to follow...

Boomer.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Have Justin send one to @Mickey and we'll try it out at Salado this March.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    henapple said:
    Have Justin send one to @Mickey and we'll try it out at Salado this March.

That works. Then we can give it away by drawing after.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin said:
    I don't see how a piece of metal could improve the taste of a cut of meat. Might give better sear marks, but I'll save my money for lump and meat.
    Words from an educated grill master.  I agree 100%.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    I've used Mangrates for a couple years now, since my pre-egg days.  I don't have a cast iron grid so I use them when making steaks.  They do leave better sear marks and protect from flare ups as others have said.  I like them, but they are probably a little over priced for what you get out of them.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Boomer said:
    I have been on here for a few years and discovered this grate from a radio commercial. I do not work for Mangrate at all, feel free and call justin and verify that if youd like, 

The restaurants that i frequent are very very good friends of mine and i dont have a problem sending them a token of my appreciation and having them use a grate that make their food taste better than it did before the grates.

I will be using these in a cookoff this year and i know that people will be amazed of the taste and presentation, as i will be grilling beef short ribs soaked a teriyaki glaze topped with fresh pineapple chunks.

I am amazed that NO ONE of us has ever used them, as i said before, call justin and get a better rate than $80.00 or whatever you guys have seen. I am doing it for us, you will See and Taste a Big difference, 

On a side note if im not mistaken, i have read an older ad that, if you werent completely satisfied in 30 days, you could return them. Thats how confident the company is about their product.

Cheers...

And pay shipping to return cast iron grates?? I don't think so...
    Dunedin, FL
  • Boomer
    Ok, Justin is setting us up using, EGG for our own promo code. Which is a killer deal.
    I asked Justin about the returns that he's had in the past, he told me, there have been very very few of the 1,000's being used today.

• Boomer
    alynd said:
    I've used Mangrates for a couple years now, since my pre-egg days.  I don't have a cast iron grid so I use them when making steaks.  They do leave better sear marks and protect from flare ups as others have said.  I like them, but they are probably a little over priced for what you get out of them.
    Over priced? i dont think so, it makes a HUGE difference to me without a doubt, About them being over priced, they have us/EGGERS taken care of with our own promo code of EGG.
    Happy grilling...
  • Boomer said:
    Ok, Justin is setting us up using, EGG for our own promo code. Which is a killer deal.
    I asked Justin about the returns that he's had in the past, he told me, there have been very very few of the 1,000's being used today.

So, will he be sending a demo unit for the Eggfest in Salado?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• What price will this promo code reduce this product to?  
    Boomer said:
    alynd said:
    Over priced? i dont think so, it makes a HUGE difference to me without a doubt, About them being over priced, they have us/EGGERS taken care of with our own promo code of EGG.
    Happy grilling...

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Boomer said:
    alynd said:
    Happy grilling...
    You can claim you don't work for mangrate all you want, but I don't believe you for a second.
  • alynd said:
    Boomer said:
    alynd said:
    Happy grilling...
    You can claim you don't work for mangrate all you want, but I don't believe you for a second.
    Second that.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The promo code "EGG" is invalid
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    this thread makes me laugh.
  • Is Boomer really Stike just screwing with us?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I sincerely doubt that
  • The promo code "EGG" is invalid
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

Why would I put rectangular grids on my round BGE?  Maybe it is just me, but I think that would be stupid when a perfectly great round CI grate is already available.  

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the price on the web page?  Looks a bit shady to me if you need to "order" to see the price.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Nevermind on the price location, not sure how I missed that...guess I'm too drunk again.

• Not sure what I gain here. I've got cast iron grates. However, I use GrillGrates found at http://grillgrate.com/index.php I think I like the interlocking grates, easy of cleaning, high heat capacity, yada, yada, yada. Just my 2 cents ...