Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help fellow eggers with my boston butt....

Options
Shahdaway
Shahdaway Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Pork
Hey all, I am cooking to 6.5 pound boston buts.  I put them on at 10:30 last night, and set temp to 240.  Have ET-372 and it went out of range and when I woke up at 8 morning the egg was at 275 and internal temp is at 190.  Party isn't until 4-5.  What do I do?   It hasn't reached internal temp of 195 so I shut down egg (closed all vents) to let it cool down.  Going to try and get it re-stabilized at 220 and let it finish that way?   Will that take to long and dry it out???  Should i just keep cooking at 240 and let it hit 195?  If it is ready before this early, I have no idea what to do......

Comments

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    Go ahead destabilize and let it finish at 195 (some go to 200 or 205). Wrap it in foil and then a couple towels and put it in a cooler or an oven. Should stay nice and warm and moist for 4-6 hours.
  • Shahdaway
    Shahdaway Posts: 3
    Options
    it might make be able to make it until 10 am(12 hours) if I let it cook until 200, but since it cooked a little quicker will it still be moist?  Or will it be a little dry?  
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    They are forgiving. Slow it down as much as possible, but you'll still go up even as the egg goes down. I have let them hit 205 to buy time. Then you can drop it into a cooler. If you have a small cooler, as for a six pack, just wash it out and toss the butt in it. No need to wrap, but you can if yiu want. It'll hold 4-5 maybe even 6 hours

If there's no chance of dragging it out, then yank it off, pull the pork, and put it in a foil pan with foil top. Reheat in the
    oven, foiled. It'll be fine

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I think you are WAY too worried about temp. You could cook a butt anywhere form 205 to 400. It really makes very little difference except for time.

My suggestion is to put blinders on and only focus on the final internal temp. The rest will work it's self out.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I think his concern is time
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Whatever
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.