Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

will water damage a platesetter?

rustypottsrustypotts Posts: 265
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to egging and I was wondering if it would hurt a plate setter to be left out in the rain and then put in the Egg without a long period of drying.   I was thinking that possibly it would absorb water and then break if if ot hot......thanks
·

Comments

• fish8503fish8503 Posts: 29
    i would not think it would hurt it but im not 100% sure
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    mine's only been outside for about five years.  i will let you know when it breaks
    :)>-

it does have a crack, but they all get one eventually i think.  still holding together
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • rustypottsrustypotts Posts: 265
    thanks......thats what I wanted to know....Rusty
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,881
    It will only hurt it  if you drop it in the pool or lake and leave it. 
    A wet plate setter that is placed on a fresh fire before temps are reached will dry out as the temps come up and should not hurt the plate setter. 
    Only when you place the wet plate setter on a hot egg   will the thermal shock possible crack the setter.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i wouldn't worry about a wet platesetter going into an egg.  do it all the time.

mor ethermal shock would be from a hot platesettr getting wet
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I've pressure washed mine a few times.  No problems.  It's also been left in the rain several times.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    My pizza stones are kept outside in the rain/ice/snow and have gone right into the egg after brushing snow off of them and seem to be holding up fine.
    ·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    I think it would be worse the other way around. Dropping cold water on the platesetter while it is in the egg seems like it could be a problem.
    ·
  • mine's only been outside for about five years.  i will let you know when it breaks
    :)>-

it does have a crack, but they all get one eventually i think.  still holding together

8 years outside. No cracks. Water will not hurt it

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Water won't hurt but ice will. I had one that was covered in ice and it slipped out of my hand and hit the concrete deck :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • meademeade Posts: 1
    I can tell you one thing NOT to do.  Do NOT set a hot platesetter on a glass table. First time I ever saw a 3/4" glass table explode.  OK, it was not smart. I admit it. Platesetter was OK, but scratch one glass top table.
    ·
  • Mine is outside but under a patio roof. It is 7 years old and I noticed it has developed a small crack in the fire bowl. I don't believe being outside has anything to do with it. If the bowl doesn't break in half I'm not going to worry about it. It still cooks fine. From what I have observed reading this forum small cracks are common. If I ever get a crack penetrating to the outside of the egg then I will use the lifetime warranty.
    San Angelo, texas
    ·